Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Most memorable hunt?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM

Default Most memorable hunt?

My most memorable huntfor turkeys actually took place during blackpowder rifle season here in New York. the fall seaosn for turkeys is open at the same time. your allowed 2 birds, either sex and both on the same day. I was on stand with my encore th secnond day of season when i shot a doe to help manage the herd i we have on the farm we hunt. it was a nice deer, abotu 125 pounds. i dressed her and took her back to the barn to hang her for the day till i wasnt finished trying to fill my buck tag. i had my shotgun in the truck from the day before when we were getting rid of pigoens and crows by the barn. i spotted a flock of about 20-25 birds, so i went back to the farm house and borrowed a box call from the farmer as that was all he could find. i suited up and snuck down the hedgerows and got about 200 yards in front of the flock. as they got closer i noticed movement to my left in some tall grass and there was a 2 jakes and a small bearded tom of about 6-7". the were feeding my way so i readied with a few 2 3/4" heavy field #6 loads i had in my pocket. when the got about 50 yards from my on the edge of the field i heard"kabooom". two of the jakesfolded over and thesmall tom ran right for my. I folded him, but was more concerned that someone was poachingonthe farm since i was the only one i knew of to be on the farm.my grandfatherstood up and started to laugh. he had hunting deer and saw the same flock andgrabbed hisgun and snuck there before me. he said he saw me and just let me be. talk about a surprise! do you guys have any memorable turkey hunts? let all us hear about um
Old 03-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Most memorable hunt?

Ive had many memorable turkey hunts. Ive had the peacock turkey hunt last year thats really remorable(if ya havent heard it just ask, I'll tell it again). But the most memorable is when I was hunting out in Missouri with my wife tagging along filming (no I didnt get the kill on film). It was a very rainy and windy day, temp was very cool.We set up in the blind before daylight. I thought the morning is shot due to the weather. But as I did some calling I thought I heard a gobble. I called again and thought I heard another gobble from 2 different directions. Like I said it was real windy. So thinking I was hearing things I see a few hens. I call nothing and do this for an hour. Then out of the corner of my eye I catch movement. Ok red head nice looking Tom sneaking in the grass about 50 yards away. I call he stops looks (my decoys standing straight up from the wind looking skyward.). The tom closes the distance walking right towards me. The wife trys to film I say dont move. I then tell her he's 20 yards away dont move. Hes closer now 15 yards I say good night stud. Bam he drops. Im up running towards him, she starts filming again. Then a bird takes off flying. I say no way he lived. He didnt he had another Tom with him, but it freaked me out. So we got footage of after the kill. That was my biggest bird a 25lb double beard 11in and 8in, and 1 1/4 in spurs... That was my most memorable hunt...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

heck this is gonna sound taboo, but it was my first bird. it wasn't huge, it didn't have a long beard or great spurs. but it was special to me. it was the first one i called in by myself, all on my own no help. i took everything my grandfather taught me and used it to th best of my ability. i know as i stood over my 19 1/2 lb jake my grandpa was smilin down on me. Now every time i harvest a bird i take a second to thank him.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Typical Buck

I too have had so many memorable hunts. My first bird it was a Rainy Day so I put a Bottom of a Orange Rain Suite under my Camo.
We are on this Gravel Rd. and and we stop and over look a Valley and my Cousin says Call and I did.....Nothing.....Again.....Nothing so I had seen this read it or something. To flip your lip while making a Sound with a mouth call to sound like a Gobbler. So I did and my cousin says what are you doing? I said I am gobbling. So I did it again...GOBBLE..GOBBLE!

So we walked off to a Spot above the Bird and Sit down and I was to do the calling. This time He answered Gobble! A few more calls and he Answers!
I hear these Course Caulks? With in 2 or 3 Steps Two Jakes, with their heads a Bobbing. I switched my Gun to my Left hand and pointed and Shot. Shot it right in the Side mad a hole like a 30-06...LoL

We had to go 30 Miles to check the Bird[:@]I had these Orange plastic pants on because I took off my Wet Camo. The Warden looked at the bird and Looked at Me.What did you kill this thing with....I said a 30-06 at 200 Yards, He looked at me and back at the Bird and Asked how did you see that Beard at 200 Yards I said with Bionocklars...LoL(sp) Then I told him the real Story!

I was so Happy and Cocky!

TF
Old 03-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

i love all miy hunts, but it would either be my first turkey (sorry the picture is signed by alex rutledge), or this past spring when i doubled with my dad

Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first bird that I called in, using a wingbone call that I made...Killed it in 1979 in Virginia with a .45 caliber flintlock rifle...
Old 03-07-2008, 11:14 AM

My most memorable hunt was with my buddy MO_Bowhnter. We got a double on probably the best birds of our lives. We ventured out in the morning after it poured down rain all night. We didnt hear a single gobble until Matt went to take a crap and came back and started messing around with his mouth call. Soon as he hit it one gobbled at a 100 yards or so, but we could not see down that part of the field. Matt shot a jake the week before and i shot a 9-1/2" bearded tom so i figured I would let him take the first shot, but I got my gun ready incase he missed or something. We waited what seemed like forever and finally two gobblers made their way into view. Good thing i had my gun up. We waited til they got in range and i whispered to Matt if he was ready. he said yea, so I whispered one,two, three...Baaang Baang. We both shot and both out gobblers hit the ground. The funny part of the story is we sent my Dad and his buddy up this hill where we heard them the day before and they didnt hear anything. The came back to the car to see a note on the windshield saying we doubled. So now they dont listen to use on where to go.

My Bird had: His beard:
1.5" spurrs 1.5" spurrs
11.5" beard 11.5" beard
21lbs 20lbs
score-74 score-73
Old 03-07-2008, 03:14 PM

Mine was my first was the morning i shot my first bird. The story goes like this IT was the first morning of the 2007 youth season andI shot the bird after my bro missed with his bow a i killed it from thrity yards with my shotgun.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Most memorable was several years ago now. I was hunting unfamiliar big moutain and heard a bird just before daybreak. I made it to him but was too close and saw what looked like a field beyond the bird's roost. Then I heard what I thought was a human call in the field, so I thought this is it. The bird flew down right in front of me on what I thought was in the woods along the edge of the field and was soon accompanied by a hen. Three hours passed and all he did waswalk back and forth maybe a distance of 20 yds parallel with me and maybe 10 feet wide. He bred the hen and strutted and hung there a while longer. All the while I was against a tree and dying from aches and afraid to breathe because I knew he could see me. Finally, he dropped his wings and walked right at me, at about 20 yds I dropped the hammer and he flew away. I was numb but managed to get up and look the scene over. There was no field, only a cliff that in early light and trees looked like a field. I guess from slumping for 3+ hour I managed to only look at the front bead and was not down on the gun as I shot about 2-3 feet over him. Small trees bore the scars and that has been most mostmemorable hunt so far.

Jim
Old 03-08-2008, 10:48 PM

Let me start by saying I am female and 5'2.

My most memorable hunt was also my first many years ago. I never expected to get a bird, I thought I would learn and maybe get one next year.
I had hunted for 3 weekends when a bearded henin came in, I kept looking at her was it a tom no but it has a beard!
Ok it's not a tom definitely not a tom so ok it's a bearded hen!
Cool they are legal in Colorado so I shot BOOM! went the Eastfield model 916 with 3 inch magnum shells. Wham on my back I went. I saw the hen fly over memake a left turn and fly right into a tree!
Crash! branches breaking, I ran to her and she was on the ground dead. She had pellets in her, but it wasn't me that killed her it was the TREE!
6 and 3/4 beard, not bad.
And thats why I shoot a Remington today LOL. (and lighter loads!)

Quick Reply: Most memorable hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.