Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Most memorable hunt?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Most memorable hunt?

i kinda have to hunts. my favorite hunt was my oldest daughters first turkey. had 3 jakes flydown and land about 10 steps. she punished the biggest one. my most memorable was my first trip to indiana. lots of reclaimed coal mines, lots of turkeys and no hunters. i killed my first yankee turkey and my cousion killed if first turkey period. mine came in a straight line run for as far as we could see. he probly gobbled 100 times. my cousins bird we heard from along way off and slip to within 100 yards. that bird gobbled close to 100 times before eating aload of hot #5's...........tony
Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 AM

My very first turkey hunt is one I will never forget. It was in the Black Hills and got me addicted for life.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine was also my first bird. I killed the bird and was bass fishing by 7:00. It was first turkey hunt. I heard everyone talking about turkey hunting but I was hooked on bass fishing. I would hear the birds gobble while I was fishing but I just thought it was cool and did not think much about it. One Sat. I told myelf that I would go turkey hunting for awhile and then go fishing. I got a box call and a mouth call and went off about 45 mintes b fore sun up. I made an owl call and I heard three birds gobble. I went into the woods and sat down. When it started to get light I hit the box call and it sounded lie helecopters landing around me. I had two of the three birds in sight. I did not have time to put the mouth call in and they were too close to use the box call. I made clucking sounds with just my mouth and one o them came in to about 30 yards. I shot and he was down and I was checkedin and fishing by 7:00. It has not that easy since but it has gotten me hooked on turkey hunting.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

My First Shot and My First Miss.

I hope you don't mind another Story. I was 22 or 23 I really don't remember. I got premission to go at a friends farm. I had never been their before so I park and get out and GOBBLE

I walk up the to the top of this field and sit down by a Tree. The field is maybe 5 Steps behind me. I call and got a Responce GOBBLE-GOBBLE so I call again GOBBLE I know now he was HOT!!!I hear a Flop-Folp-Flop So I call again...GOBBLE This time he is closerThe next thing I see is this Big Black Ball comming to me. He gets to about 45 Yards and starts looking for me. Some how I knew it was to far. So I called Again....GOBBLE.. He was Smoking! He comes about 10 more steps, His Head was RED as Fire, then it Turned BLUE, and then it Turned a WHITE like a Ghoost. He was in FULL STRUT and DRUMMING. All of a sudden from my Left I hear a Soft Call, like a Slate Call.[:@]The Tom come out of Full Strut and Looked that way and GOBBLED! I Didn't have the gun up so I jerked it Up and Shot. I watched that Big Bird Fly Down this BIG Hollow, what seemed like a Mile. I didn't see or hear him Crash.

It was another Hunter who had Roosted that Bird and was late that morrning, he said. Over the years we became friends and shared that hunt many times.

That's one Bird that still Haunts me to this very day! Probably a 2 year Old...LoL I thought he weighed 50 Lbs.[X(][&o]

TF
Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Spike

My favorite hunt was when my good buddies step grand son took his first bird.We had 6 toms workin in a very low mountain thunderstorm gobblin furiously to the callin and thunder.One tom finally cleared the woodline into the small greenfield and covered 60+yds to the decoy like a sprinter.He stood there puttin on a show when i heard a whisper say"shoot'em when he comes outta stut" made a couple of puhts his head came up and down he went at 15 paces he had a full 9.5in beard 1 1/4" spurs and was 22.5lbs.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

it's a toss-up. either my first hunt with my father. he hounded me for years to go turkey hunting with him. finally i went he called in 4 toms about 10:00 a.m. the first morning. we tried to double up. i connected, he missed. or i could be last years hunt. i took my tribute for the first time and missed a jake the first morning. saturday morning i took my 870 cause my 11 year oldstep-son went with me we hunted for 13 hours before i finally connected. he absolutely loved it. i was impressed he sat with me for so long. the gameboy helped alot.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Nice Bird! Cool Picture!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two hunts really stand out...

1) One of the first outings with my oldest brother. A stray cat had adoped my mother (God bless her soul, she passed almost 10 years ago...). Low and behold, this cat decides to walk 1/2 mile into the woods with me and my brother, and then takes a nap on my knit hat inches from my leg!! At about 7 am, my brother and I called in tandem to draw in 5 jakes and a lone tom. The Tom sent the jakes to my deke for an inspection, and this cat sat not 10 yards from a 15 pound turkey. Her eyes were as big as saucers, but she listened to me and stayed right there the whole time. My brother and I could have doubled on the jakes, but wanted the tom, who never committed inside 40 yards. Needless to say, we were both completely amazed at that cat. From then on, her nickname was LadyBird. That cat lived with my mother until mom died, and then with one of my other brothers for another 6 years before she died of FIV...

2) May 20th, 2005. I took one of my largest turkeys to date, on my father's birthday. He passed in 1988, and we never were able to hunt together.This bird took 3 loads of #6 X-tended Range Winchesters at less than 30 yards before he expired. I swore my scope had been knocked, until I grabbed him. When I grabbed his neck, my hands couldn't touch!! He was truly a monster, which I was able to harvest on my father's birthday, and dedicate to Pops...

Old 03-11-2008, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

A few years ago I a had broken my ankle and had to wear one of those moon boots. Well I wasn't about to let that stop me so I made a "brace" out of a piece of aluminum bent in a "U" shape. I would take the moon boot off, put on my rubber boot and tape the new brace in place. It worked great, I didn't get a bird till the last day I could hunt. I worked him for about an hour and a half and he hung up at 48 yards behing a tree. I waited for 15 minutes for him to step around the tree and nail him. Plus this was the first bird I had take when I was by myself. But all my hunts with my brothers and dad have been memorable.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

My most memorable hunt took place in TX hunting rios. We set up on a 30 acre wheat field surrounded by cottonwoods. After listening to 150 turkeys gobble,I honestly watched 400 turkeys fly into the field with over 100 being toms. Ihad called18 longbeards within shotgun range when I pulled the trigger on a bird at 20 steps. At the sound of the gun every turkey in the field gobbled. I layed down my shotgun, crossed my arms, smiled, and thanked God for creating such a beautiful sight and allowing me to be there to see it all.

Quick Reply: Most memorable hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.