Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

slate call question

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM

Default slate call question

I've got a primos power crystal and i won't to know how much you need to sand the surface? Do you need to sand the entire surface and how often do you need to sand it? thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 01:08 PM

Default RE: slate call question

Just sand a small area that you need to call on maybe the size of a 1/2 dollar dont sand the entire surface due to fact it will take away alot of the sound the crystal will produce...

MrGobbler

www.mrturkey-gamecalls.com
Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 PM

I agree with MrGobbler. The one thing i will add is you want to sand the heck out of that spot. Put some deep sanding to the crystal.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmmm, nobody ever told me that. I sanded the whole thing... Sounds good to me, and it must have sounded good to the birds I've called in on it the last few years
Old 02-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I pretty much sand the whole surface too. I use just about every part of the surface to get different sounds. I'm not going to stop doing iteither.[:-]
Old 02-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

You can sand part of it or you can sand it all, the best advice you got was to sand deep.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MrGobbler43

Just sand a small area that you need to call on maybe the size of a 1/2 dollar dont sand the entire surface due to fact it will take away alot of the sound the crystal will produce...

MrGobbler

MrGobbler...is this advice you gave only with a crystal calling surface? Do you do the same with other surfaces such as slate, aluminum, etc...?? I have always sanded in one direction over the whole call. I start with pad down on the nine 'oclock position and go all the way towards the 3 'oclock position and then pick up the pad and repeat.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:44 PM

i sand mine today in an counter clock wise oval, and its sounds great
ORIGINAL: r33h

ORIGINAL: MrGobbler43

MrGobbler

MrGobbler...is this advice you gave only with a crystal calling surface? Do you do the same with other surfaces such as slate, aluminum, etc...?? I have always sanded in one direction over the whole call. I start with pad down on the nine 'oclock position and go all the way towards the 3 'oclock position and then pick up the pad and repeat.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sand the top third to top half and deep!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pretty much condition my calls the way r33h described. One direction only, then I strike across the direction I sanded. I've been using the Primos Slick Stick the last couple of seasons, its pretty convenient.

Quick Reply: slate call question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.