HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   slate call question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/232648-slate-call-question.html)

ryharris1983 02-15-2008 12:39 PM

slate call question

I've got a primos power crystal and i won't to know how much you need to sand the surface? Do you need to sand the entire surface and how often do you need to sand it? thanks

MrGobbler43 02-15-2008 01:08 PM

RE: slate call question

Just sand a small area that you need to call on maybe the size of a 1/2 dollar dont sand the entire surface due to fact it will take away alot of the sound the crystal will produce...

MrGobbler

www.mrturkey-gamecalls.com

MosesLakehunter 02-15-2008 01:19 PM

I agree with MrGobbler. The one thing i will add is you want to sand the heck out of that spot. Put some deep sanding to the crystal.

RIStrutStopper 02-15-2008 01:35 PM

Hmmmmm, nobody ever told me that. I sanded the whole thing... Sounds good to me, and it must have sounded good to the birds I've called in on it the last few years :)

superstrutter 02-15-2008 02:02 PM

Yeah, I pretty much sand the whole surface too. I use just about every part of the surface to get different sounds. I'm not going to stop doing iteither.[:-]

X Legion General 02-15-2008 02:14 PM

You can sand part of it or you can sand it all, the best advice you got was to sand deep.

r33h 02-15-2008 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: MrGobbler43

Just sand a small area that you need to call on maybe the size of a 1/2 dollar dont sand the entire surface due to fact it will take away alot of the sound the crystal will produce...

MrGobbler

MrGobbler...is this advice you gave only with a crystal calling surface? Do you do the same with other surfaces such as slate, aluminum, etc...?? I have always sanded in one direction over the whole call. I start with pad down on the nine 'oclock position and go all the way towards the 3 'oclock position and then pick up the pad and repeat.

PaBowhunter29 02-15-2008 02:44 PM

i sand mine today in an counter clock wise oval, and its sounds great ;)

ORIGINAL: r33h

ORIGINAL: MrGobbler43

MrGobbler

MrGobbler...is this advice you gave only with a crystal calling surface? Do you do the same with other surfaces such as slate, aluminum, etc...?? I have always sanded in one direction over the whole call. I start with pad down on the nine 'oclock position and go all the way towards the 3 'oclock position and then pick up the pad and repeat.

Mr. Longbeard 02-15-2008 03:28 PM

I sand the top third to top half and deep!!!

RIStrutStopper 02-15-2008 08:43 PM

I pretty much condition my calls the way r33h described. One direction only, then I strike across the direction I sanded. I've been using the Primos Slick Stick the last couple of seasons, its pretty convenient.