HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Aging using Spurs....
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Rory/MO
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Turkey Aging using Spurs....

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

it really depends on the terrain theyre in, and how aggressive fighters they are. the spurs, just like the beard, can get worn from a lot of rocks.

See we do agree on stuff.. maybe not running and gunning... but you're right on there Rory

In my part of the world, which is flat and sandy, and or just farm dirt, but really no rocks.... tons of hens to boot.... that chart is relatively accurate in my experience.

Jakes will have Nubs
2yo will have rounded, dull spurs less than 1" in length.. usually 7/8"
3 yo will have a sharp spur, typically 1" long, though it depends on if he hatched early or late... can be a sharp 7/8" or up to about 1 1/8"
4 yo will be 1 1/4 or more... some are sharp... some are slightly worn. When they get to this age.. the way they act will usually tell you as much about their age as anything.
5yo we are looking at the 1 3/8 to 1 1/2" range... starting to get into the big boys. Anythng older than that may well be anybody's guess. The general rule of thumb is between 1/8" to 1/4" of growth per year... its not a perfect yardstick.. but it will let you tell the difference between a 2 year old and a 4 year old. And as Rory pointed out... with Rios.. where you have lots of competetion for hens... and with Meriams and Easterns around rocks and in the mountains... all bets can be off.
thats good we agree on this, where do you live at? cause i only know of a couple of parts of a couple of states where the ducks dont go no more