Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What is the key to Turkey hunting? >

What is the key to Turkey hunting?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is the key to Turkey hunting?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 AM

Default What is the key to Turkey hunting?

In my opinion scouting is the most important think you can do to bag a nice tom. I am interested in hearring the opinions of other turkey hunters.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the key to Turkey hunting?

Being a Traveling turkey hunter and hunting areas where scouting can not be done prior to your hunt, I have learned a very successful way of getting on top of your hunt. Study the birds and the area you plan on hunting. Talk to people from the area and other hunters that have been and hunted the area and collect as much useful information you can about the area and the birds you are hunting.

Once a hunter has done his home work and gets to where he or she wants to be, and then do your miner scouting with your gun in hand...
Old 01-29-2008, 01:26 PM

I wouldconsider your information gatherring is a part of scouting. Very smart. Thanks for your imput.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM

Patience is key, IMO.

If you wait long enough and there are turkeys nearby, and you call infrequently and softly, they will show.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Setup, Calling, and Patience is the key to happiness.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Food is important also, and the hens. Find the hens, find the toms. and sit still.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMO expirience plays a huge factor over being able to consistantly carry out longbeards.

scouting is also critical...gotta hunt where theres birds.

calling is important, but with expirience comes learning to call, when to call, what kinda sounds to make, how much to call etc etc..

with expirience you also learn how to setup, learn how long to wait, when to run and gun, etc etc...

you can get lucky, and alot of guys rather be lucky than good any day, but when it gets down to being consistant, expirience is key IMO...turkey hunting is a game of learning...when you think youve seen it all and learned everything there is to learn, that ole tom pulls a trick youve never thought possible...
Old 01-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

IMO, without a doubt, a positive mental attitude is the most important thing to a successful turkey hunter. Second, is knowing the land. Third, is knowing your birds.

Experience is one of the most powerful things a hunter (human for that matter) can have.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Spike

I know that different turkey types have different behaviors. I hunt the Rio Grand Turkey in mesquite and cedar brush. Being able to move without being seen and knowing the daily routine of the hens is key. In spring the hens will scatter in the morning and group up in the evening. All day the toms are on the hens and looking for a scrap. If they see you they are gone. You have to get this close.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2 4319839
Old 01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

i have hunted a lot of turkeys in the past and every time i bring another hunter out with me i always size up hisexperience as a hunter by one thing. the one true key to turkey hunting in my opinion is movement. everyone under estimates this. watch a good turkey hunter, he won't swivel his head for nothing, use your eyes to look, just cause you heard something doesn't mean you have to look at it. if you have to turn then you will learn the hard way how to do it right. one thing i always have to tell myself is "don't overstep your bounds." meaning don't push too far, you might want to set up under a tree, a turkey has a periscope for a head, you won't see him but he will for shure see you. you will be amazed how far away aturkey will see you when you move your head or peak around a tree. one thing i always see is that newcomers get too comfortable in their blinds, once they hear something the lean forward real quick to see it, that turkey will pick up your movement in a heartbeat and then it is off to the races.

Quick Reply: What is the key to Turkey hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.