Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What if.......................................... >

What if..........................................

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What if..........................................

Old 02-05-2003, 08:50 AM

Default What if..........................................

After reading the post "opening day game plan" I have a question(well maybe a lot of them). I hunt on a mountain that is game commission land. All the fields are on private land around this land. I have got several gobblers to answer me and a couple to come in but there doesn't seem to be a common roosting site. They are here one day and somewhere else tommorrow. What would your plan be on a place like this.I did get on a bird last year that roosted at the same place every day BUT he seemed to be able to read. He was on posted land and my 11 year old and I called him to the edge several times but he wouldn't come off the posted land. To be fair ,we were trying to call him across a road and he just wouldn't cross it.Don

Old 02-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What if..........................................

Don I would try and roost these gobblers the night before!Because your somewhat familiar with the lay of the land if you can roost a gobbler the night before you hunt it may give you an idea of where you need to be at daylight as they make there way to the fields!One other thing is often times gobblers will enter a field in generally the same area and if you can determine this you may be able to establish a travel route.Hope this helps!Bob

Monarch isn't a butterfly it's the King of the Spring!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:36 AM

Agree with Bobgobble2. Since you stated they're here one time and then another time they're not I would try to roost them the night before each hunt and position myself the next morning between their roosting site and the field.

If you find a roosting pattern, try to get a little more aggressive and setup within 100 yards of them in each morning.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:50 AM

Donin, if you can't get one roosted the night before. Try by going directly to the fields and listen as you hear them then cut them off and setup. You kind of work in reverse instead of starting in the woods and then chasing them to the fields. Do the opposite.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:56 PM

I really can't go to the fields as they are all on posted property and the mountain is about 10 miles long and very steep. I am kind of stuck in the woods and have to work the mountain. All the fields are on the other side of a main road which kind of circles the mountain. The turkeys seem to make long circles thru the mountains and low land next to the fields and roost in different area on each day. They may roost 3 miles from where they were yesterday.I have never found a bird in the mountain roosted the same place 2 days in a row. Don (dazed and confused in Virginia)

Old 02-05-2003, 03:15 PM

This probably makes Eastern's the toughest to hunt. To many places to roost. The advice is sound! If you can roost them the night before you have gone a long way toward killing him the next morning.

Ryan Tucker

Old 02-05-2003, 03:50 PM

Thanks guys, I will have to start scouting in March as our season starts April 12. Don

Old 02-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]