Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What gun do you use and why? >

What gun do you use and why?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What gun do you use and why?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Spike

Default What gun do you use and why?

I am just curious about what shotgun you currently use for turkey hunting and why you made the choice. Sorry if this question has been asked ad nauseum but it'll be educational for me if you feel like answering.

If you have used other shotguns in the past or intend to use something else in the future I'd be interested to hear that also.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What gun do you use and why?

I am currently using a remington 870 SPS-T with thumbhole and I absolutely love it! The gun is so comfortable in the hands and it allows me the flexibility to shoot 3.5" shells. I use to have a Mossberg 835 ulti-mag that shot 3.5" shells, but I definitely like the Remington much better. Mossberg also has a thumbhole model shotgun in the 835 and if you like Mossberg guns, then I would look at one of those at your local sporting goods store. Of the two that I have mentioned, I prefer the Rem more. There must a reason why it is the most popular selling shotgun...
Old 01-08-2008, 01:30 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have three I have used - one I will use no longer but is a back up
that is a Benelli SBG - 3.5 inch - 3.5 inch is overkill - don't need the 3.5 inch call the bird up close no reason for high priced shells

My main stay is a Remington 11-87 SP (Matte finish - no camo)- 21 inch barrel - Nikon scope - 3 inch - nice short barrel - patterns real nice using a hastings 0.663 turkey choke with winchester supreme #4

My putzer is a Pedroselli 10 Ga black Powder side by side. 100 gr Pyrodex powder, 1.5 oz #4 copper plated lead shot.

JW
Old 01-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Beretta Extrema with a 24" barrel in Realtree Hardwoods. It fits me really well. And it takes those turkey loads and reduces them to almost nothing! Yeah right!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington!!! just started out with a Rem and I bought 2 more... All 3 pattern great with one patterning awsome... That would be my SPT 3.5"
Old 01-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ishoot an Ithica Mag 10 and have since 1980.User friendly it isnt,but I have some sentimental ties to this gun from a former friend.Besides that its a gobblers worst nightmare.More than one gobbler over the years has made the mistake of lookin down its long dark hole of a barrel to have one of my own handloads wack him upside his head.Everything on the gun is stock except fibre optic sites and my Butler Creek sling.The gun is heavy at 12lbs but is user friendly in the recoil of 3.5 loads.Shoots a very nice pattern at an average of about 82% inside a 30 inch circle at 30 yards.I shoot 2 1/8 ounces of #4 lead......
Old 01-08-2008, 07:19 PM

Benelli SBE II 26" barrel Advantage Timber finish
Carlsons Ported Turkey choke tube (.660?)
3.5 Winchester Xtended #5s

works good enough for me

This year i may switch over to a Hoyt vectrix, hear it is pretty fun!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

What guns do I use for turkeys? My uncle's Charles Daly shotgun.

Why? Because I don't have one......
Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Benelli Supernova with the steadygrip and 24" barrell. 0 power scope.... #6 -3.5" Magnum heavishot load...because it's what I've got. I had a benelli nova with the 30" barrell. I sold it to a kid at my church because he wanted the longer barrell for dove hunting. I never did like that long barrell (no jokes, please).
Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

I hunt with a Mossberg 500. Why I hunt with it is because It has the best pattern of any gun I have shot. I have an entended factory Turkey choke. I use Federal 3" magnum 2 oz load 5 shot. These pattern the best out of my gun and its deadly out to 50 yards. Max is 70 yards. I dont feel comfortable taking over a 50 yard shot. But not saying I wouldnt. Its an awesome shooting gun. I havent seen one out perform it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.