Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What gun do you use and why? >

What gun do you use and why?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What gun do you use and why?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What gun do you use and why?

I'm currently using a Browning BPSin Mossyoak camo...The NWTF Model...I chose this gun for it's top tang safety and bottom ejection which is perfect for me as a lefty...I also chose it for it's reputation of being a great shotgun...Using a Pure Gold Choke .670 choke tube and Winchester 3" #6 Xtended Range shells it will put 225 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards...

My first turkey gun was a Mossberg 500 that I sent to a gun smith and had it customized by having the 24" smooth bore slug barrel re-worked to take screw in choke tubes and the forcing cone lengthened...With a Hasting .660 choke tube it throws one incredible pattern it will punch a 2" hole at 20 yards and about a 6" hole at 40 yards...Very scary pattern!!!...I still have the gun as a back up.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Browning Gold Hunter is my main gun. Camo finish, 3", .12 ga, scoped. Use this one mostly for Easterns, where I sit and call mostly. I also use a T/C Encore camo finish12 ga with thumblehole stock for Merriams where I run-n-gun alot. The T/C is a lot lighter then the Browning, but it does pack a bit morekick to the shoulder!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: r33h

I am currently using a remington 870 SPS-T with thumbhole and I absolutely love it! The gun is so comfortable in the hands and it allows me the flexibility to shoot 3.5" shells. I use to have a Mossberg 835 ulti-mag that shot 3.5" shells, but I definitely like the Remington much better. Mossberg also has a thumbhole model shotgun in the 835 and if you like Mossberg guns, then I would look at one of those at your local sporting goods store. Of the two that I have mentioned, I prefer the Rem more. There must a reason why it is the most popular selling shotgun...
Same here. I love this gun. It's a sweet looking and shooting gun. I assume r33h you also have a 24" barrel? The 870 SPS-T is put together a little better than the Mossbergs, not saying a Mossberg is a bad gun mind you.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Spike

I use a Remington 11-87 SP, 3" chamber with a 21" barrel, fiber optic sights, and extended Trulock choke tube. I mostly use this one on rainy days because of the iron sights. My favorite is my T/C Encore with a thumbhole stock, topped with a Simmons 4x turkey scope. The stock fits me like a glove, and the gun is nice and light. My eyes also favor the scoped gun as I get older. They both pattern real nice with Federal #5's.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 PM

Got an old browningbps. This thing is a tank and can take the 3 1/2 in loads like theyre 2 3/4. Patterns pretty decent with factory choke. I would like to get another choke to improve it but dont want to spend the extra money!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Spike

Winchester 1300 with 28" barrel, 3" Rem hevi-shot 6's and turkey choke. Red dot last year, new Bushnell 1.5-4.5x scope for this year. I use it because it was the only gun I had with interchangeable chokes when I started turkey hunting, and now I won't change.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pedersoli double barrel, black powder, percussion 12 guage. Because its just a little bit harder! And oh what fun!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

ORIGINAL: r33h

I am currently using a remington 870 SPS-T with thumbhole and I absolutely love it! The gun is so comfortable in the hands and it allows me the flexibility to shoot 3.5" shells. I use to have a Mossberg 835 ulti-mag that shot 3.5" shells, but I definitely like the Remington much better. Mossberg also has a thumbhole model shotgun in the 835 and if you like Mossberg guns, then I would look at one of those at your local sporting goods store. Of the two that I have mentioned, I prefer the Rem more. There must a reason why it is the most popular selling shotgun...
Same here. I love this gun. It's a sweet looking and shooting gun. I assume r33h you also have a 24" barrel? The 870 SPS-T is put together a little better than the Mossbergs, not saying a Mossberg is a bad gun mind you.
I believe it is a 23" barrel, aren't they? It is the factory barrel that comes on the gun. It is either 23" or 24"...
Old 01-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Spike

Remington 870 express 12 ga using standard full choke. Nothing fancy, no camo, no nothing, just a bird killing gun!

I also have a Savage 24F which would be a really nice turkey gun if you could hunt with rifle in NY. It is an over/under break action with a 12 ga on the bottom and a .22 hornet on the top. Camo stock, and rifle sights. I might bring it out this season anyway, just becuase it is more compact then the 870, and just use the 12 ga barrel.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im shooting a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga., with a red dot dight, I shoot it because it is all I have!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.