Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 The Tenderest Thanksgiving Turkey! >

The Tenderest Thanksgiving Turkey!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

The Tenderest Thanksgiving Turkey!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Default The Tenderest Thanksgiving Turkey!

I think that it’s most important to remember that hunting many years ago was not the way to entertain yourself, but to get some food. And as for me it’s not how you kill it, but how you cook it!
This is my way to make the tenderest wild turkey you would ever eat in your life.
The secret is in the rub: take 1 teaspoon of onion powder and one of garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ of paper, mix all spices and rub on turkey properly. Than place turkey (or turkey breast) in large crock pot and cook it in the oven on low temperature for 6-8 hours, depending on turkey weight.
And of course, STUFFING: My favorite is walnut stuffing, as my mom use to make it:
You’ll need: 10 cups of dried bread crumbs, 2 lbs of chestnuts, 1 teaspoon of dried thyme, 1 teaspoon of dried savory, 1 teaspoon of dried marjoram, 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary, 2 cups of minced celery, 2 cups of minced onion, 2 cups of butter, salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

Cut a cross on the flat side of each chestnut with a knife and simmer in a saucepan for about five minutes, covered with water. Drain. While hot, remove the shells and inner brown skins. Cover with fresh water. Boil for about thirty minutes until tender. Drain, then chop coarsely.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onions and celery, and cook until tender. Thoroughly mix in bread crumbs and chestnuts. Season with thyme, marjoram, savory, and rosemary will fill your turkey with great taste and aroma… .

Then just stuff you turkey, and it’s good to go!

Have a nice Thanksgiving to you all!!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Tenderest Thanksgiving Turkey!

Thanks for the reciepe...sounds good...now I can't wait till thanksgiving gets here! Hope you have a good one...