Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke Tubes

Old 01-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Choke Tubes

Hey guys, first time on this site. I can already tell this site may get me fired at work . I have some questions about aftermarket choke tubes if anyone can help me out. I have had a shoulder injury for a long time, and I'm limited as to the amount of recoil I can take in the shoulder area; so I have been shooting 2 3/4" mags for a long time out of my Remington 870 with factory x-full choke. I'm interested in purchasing a new choke, possibly one with vents/ports that supposedly reduce "felt" recoil, hoping I can move up to 3" mags to extend my effective shotgunning range on longbeards without damaging my shoulder any further. I've heard and read a lot about Kick's choke tubes, and have seen tons of other brands in catalogs and such. Do these tubes really make a difference in recoil? Has anyone out there tried a Kick's in their in 870 with 5 or 6 shot? Thanks guys....
Old 01-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choke Tubes

If you really want to feel less recoil, stay with the 2 3/4, it'll knock down a turkey fine. Go with a short tube, you don't need a long ported tube, they're mainly for looks anyways. Kick's have good tubes, I use Hastings, and have great results. Good luck
Visit My Updated Hunting Page
Old 01-21-2003, 02:20 PM

First of all, welcome Mikey! I have an 870, I shoot 3" #5's out of a Kick's .665 tube. This setup patterns very well and will put a turkey down in quick order at reasonable ranges. As far as reducing felt recoil with this choke, I believe the reduction is negligible at best. Your shoulder is still going to get walluped with the 3" mags. I don't think the main reason for the ports on turkey chokes is recoil reduction, I believe it is more for starting the wad/shot separation quicker. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. Again, welcome on board, this is a great place to spend some time with people who share your interests in the great sport of turkey hunting.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the recoil reduction in a ported tube does lessen the recoil.
I've shot most of the choke tubes on the market , and have settled with one , the Precision choke tubes from Ontario Canada, I have info on the product if you are interested.AAAAAA here it is http://www.precisionarms.ca/WebPages/SplashPage.htm ...BT

I like them with Long Sharp Spurs....
Old 01-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

I like to use the MAD choke tubes. They cost like $50 but they last for a long time. I bought one three years ago and I love it. And all those guys that said they were going to boycot Drury Outdoors and MAD calls on the bowhunting forum well I dont think you should do that becuase they really take time to figure out there calls and they do not check peoples backgrounds before they hire them so dont take you business away from them just for that. I try to buy just about all my turkey hunting stuff from them.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a fan of ported choke tubes and here is why. The ports on the choke will lessen recoil, but very minimally. The port will also does separate the wad from the shot, but this can also be done before it reaches the area of where the ports would be. The downsides, port will slightly hurt your long range pattern. An extended choke tube will not have any interference with the shot, like the extended ported choke will. Also, with a small amount of muzzel blast going out through the ports, shot velocity will decrease. And if the wad is slowed down too much, and separates from the shot enough it'll result in deformation of pattern again.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the way I see it. I've talked to choke designers, and have been told, they make ported chokes not for performance, but looks, and that's what a lot of the customers will buy on.
Visit My Updated Hunting Page
Old 01-22-2003, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought the Remington Ventilator choke for my 870 and really like it, But I don't think it reduces the kick any at all, if anything it kicks harder. but man it does pattern very well.

THE NRA, WHERE WOULD YOU AS A GUN-OWNER BE WITHOUT THEM.
GUN-OWNERS, UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and shared knowledge. I can tell this is gonna be a matter of figuring out what my gun likes best. I've had good success with my factory choke and 2 3/4" federals; even though I've only taken 3 longbeards and jake, my first longbeard was rolled over at 45 yards, so I'm satasfied.........but I'm sure everyone here understands.........hunters are always trying to make themselves better.......I'm definitely gonna tinker this spring, and right now I'm taking interest in the post on here about scopes/red dot sites......so off I go. Thanks again guys!!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]