Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Will the Turkeys Still Be There? >

Will the Turkeys Still Be There?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Will the Turkeys Still Be There?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Will the Turkeys Still Be There?

While bow hunting a few properties I've come across a couple of different flocks. Can I plan to hunt them in the same areas in the Spring or will they move to different place then?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will the Turkeys Still Be There?

I'm sure you will find turkeys in the same area. They will have split up in to smaller groups and the tom's will be with the hens, but I think you will still have a lot of the same turkeys on the property.

Good Luck!!!!
Pheasantfanatic
Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fall patterns and Spring patterns for turkey can vary quite a bit. I would assume that you will still find some birds in the area, but it may or may not be the exact birds in the exact areas. The best thing that you can do to prepare for the Spring is go out about a week or two before your Spring season starts and scout. Observe where they are coming from and going to.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

r33h hit the nail on the head. I have seen flocks of birds in the winter numbering 50 - 100 birds. They will flock together like that in the winter and come spring they will head off to other timbers in smaller groups. I am sure you will still see some in the area you are seeing them now, but it will probably be a small group. Just do your preseason scouting in the spring, to know just what your group of birds is likely to do. Where they will go for feed and water.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the advice.

One more question-What is a good time to scout for spring? In NY, the season runs for the month of May. When will these new, smaller groups start showing themselves, i.e. when do the big groups break up?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

I do my prseasom scouting roughly 2-4 weeks prior to the season open. I start by scouting an area that I know generally has birds. I will start by just sitting, listining, and watching. I want to hear where the birds are roosting and how many toms are in the area. Sometimes it may be fromquite adistance. I don't want to spook my birds to other property. Once I knowthere are birds and approximately where they are going, I will get in closer to inspect the area about midday, after they have moved off.Once you know the general direction they will go when they come off the roost, you can figure where the most likely ambush spots will be that you can make a successful harvest.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:40 AM
JW
Super Moderator

What I have found - Fall flocksleading to winter roost areas -yes you will find a few birds come spring but you need to expand. My theory is that the winter roost site has been so much picked over for food and as Spring approaches and the snow goes - it opens up new feeding areas to whcih the birds follow. I also try to find hens - if you find the hens Mr tom will sure be close by. See a hen or hens consistently in one area note that and always check that - you'll cathc him there sooner or later.

I have also trained all the landowners who allow me to hunt. They know my passion and I always pick up the ole phone to say howdy. Usually at least once a month before Spring. Especailly the little ole ladies! I call it my AT&T Turkey Scouting and they really do help me pin and locate birds.

Deerdust and R33h have given you good advice.

JW
Old 11-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get out and start scouting about two weeks before the season starts. Several things could change turkey patterns, such as predator pressure, food and water demands, human contact, etc. You want to scout for them as close to the season as possible, but you want it to be long enough to make sure that they are coming to a particular area consistently and not a one-time deal. When you do go scouting...do not take a call! Remember, you are there to observe the patterns and you aren't trying to get them close to you. If you call, you are only "educating" the bird. Try to figure out where they are coming from and where they are going to...then, set yourself up between the two and make sure you have a good turkey recipe becuase you may be bring home some fresh turkey meat