Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Banded Birds

Old 01-17-2002, 07:35 PM

Default Banded Birds

i was just wondering does the N.W.T.F band their turkeys when they trap and transfer? i think that it would be interesting if a hunter harvested a banded bird you would know where it was trapped and how old he was etc.

what do you all think? is this going on in some states.

Edited by - Raven on 01/17/2002 20:36:16
Old 01-17-2002, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Banded Birds

I'VE HEARD OF THE GAME DEPARTMENTS DOING IT WITH ELK AND BEAR, NEVER HEARD OF IT DOEN ON A TURKEY, IN WASHINGOTN IF YOU SHOT A ELK OR BEAR WITH A COLLAR ON IT YOUR REQUIRED TO TURN THE COLLAR IN AND THEY WILL TELL YOU ALL THE INFO ON THE ELK OR BEAR.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

The MNR did some wing tagging on birds here in Ontario , back when the birds where introduced it went on for a few years after. We killed one back afew years ago now , and got the stats on it , 5 years old, and had travelled 40 miles from where it had been released....BT
Old 01-18-2002, 08:37 PM

interesting Bt why did they stop? was it too costly or the need for banding th e birds were no more important?

Old 01-19-2002, 08:42 AM

I know that some states band their birds prior to releasing them into new areas, or if they are doing research in that area. I've been fortunate to take 4 banded toms---3 in Oklahoma, and another in Florida. In addition to a leg band, my Osceola was also sporting the latest in fashionable turkey attire---wing tags, and a radio pack on his back. This old warhorse was also blind in one eye, had recovered from a broken wing, there were numerous old pellets of different sizes in his hide, and at some point in his rough life he'd gotten tangled in bailing twine, because some of it was still wrapped tightly around each leg. The antennae had broken off of the radio almost a year earlier, so the Game & Fish personnel were thrilled that I'd killed him and they could then include nearly two years of previous data from this tom in their study.