Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Spring 2008 Merriam's and Rio's >

Spring 2008 Merriam's and Rio's

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spring 2008 Merriam's and Rio's

Old 09-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Spike

Default Spring 2008 Merriam's and Rio's

This spring I will be taking a 7 day trip in hopes of stickin a merriams and a rio with my bow.

Where will I be able to accomplish this with as little travel as possible. Try to keep the hunts within 12 hours of eachother.

This will be a self guided trip but have no problems paying 250 a day to hunt an outfitters land.

Also, I don't want to have to worry about shootin a hybrid.

Advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Spring 2008 Merriam's and Rio's

Brian,
The very best of luck to you on your adventure next spring. My suggestion for you would be to try North CentralKansas for the rio, and South Central Nebraska for the merriam. We had a member here from HNI that came down from Alaska last spring and hunted private ground in the Washington, Kansas area with no problem, and just for the asking to hunt there. There is also public ground there that can be hunted. I managed a hunt camp in Franklin, Nebraska and he came and hunted with me there. I will not be there next spring though or I would have you come and personally take you out. There is public ground there that can be hunted and is right on the state line before you get to Franklin. If you head north out of Kansas on Hwy 8, it turns into Hwy 10 at the state line. A dirt road on the right is the line and about 3-4 miles east on that road is public ground and is marked as such. I know for a fact there are some good merriam toms there. The best thing is that the locals really don't hunt turkey much, so I am sure they will still be there. If you need any more info about ther area, feel free to contact me. Dave
Old 09-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

deerdust, I arrowed my birds in Altoona, KS in the southeast, north of Tulsa, OK. The birds there were hybrids....wouldn't further north be hybids too?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Rob, I had to do a little searching, but I found what I was looking for. I knew the Kansas DNR had a map on their website that gave locations for where differant birds were located. Here is the linkhttp://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/hunting/turkey , but this is basically what they had to say:

Turkey

[/align]

[/align]Enlarge Image
[/align][/align][/align][/align]Wild turkeys were reintroduced into Kansas in the 1960s, and the program has been a great success. Today, huntable populations of turkeys exist in nearly every county. The Rio Grande subspecies dominates the western two-thirds of the state. Low numbers in the southwest provide only limited hunting. Hybrid Rio Grande/Eastern birds are found in the northcentral region. The Eastern subspecies is common in the northeast and far southeast regions, where numbers have grown tremendously in recent years.

[/align]