Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

PIEBALD GOBBLER 07

Old 06-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Default RE: PIEBALD GOBBLER 07

Hello to all... I'm a Newbie. This piebald sure looks like a hen to me. Please keep us posted. It looks NEAT!
Old 06-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

now thats a good pic, i have only seen one of those.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 AM

Well after growing up visiting my aunts turkey farm regulary. I would say that bird is a farm escapey. Look at the body type. It's bulky and yellow legged. And the colors almost look like the Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys my aunt raised. I would say thats a hen meat breed turkey. There are alot of farm escapey birds around and they always look soo different when seen in a flock of all wilds.
Cool Find none the less!

Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah I have to agree w/sampahunter. We raised these turkeys for years on our farm. They're called Narragansett Turkeys. Also, most tame turkeys don't have much or any of a beard which would answer the above discussion.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Turkeys/BRKJiylda.html
Old 06-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Gentlemen, thereare no tame turkeys or farms anywhere near where this bird was found-I've never seen one within 10miles in any direction....I'll answer the question about the first week of NOV...let him come strolling past me and I'll take care of it once and for all....I heard him gobble, I have friends who saw him in strut - I personally did not...his legs seem pinkish to me and his little beard was jet black and as thin as a pencil about 1-3 inches protruding... We'll see..I haven't seen him since this picture was taken, don't think he got plugged because I would have heard about it...I've been taking ridses in the morning and evening but just can spy him...I'll get another picture hopefully..by the way he was with about 15 other turkey that morning..about 8 hens, 6 other jakes, and two or three adult toms.. he was just off by himself..I killed an albino deer that was also shunned by the deer herd with a bow..don't know if the other animal fear them or are afraid that a predator could find them, hopefully a coyote, bear, bobcat or fisher didn't find this guy, he couldn't hide this time of year...
Old 06-26-2007, 03:58 PM

LOL just think about the bird being a farm escapeyIm still saying thats what it is. I know you say there arent many or any farms around but a bird will travel far if it is alone. And also another characteristic that makes me think it's domestic is the short fan. And also the body type. Wild turkeys and I know you know this are always small bodied and even the hens have longer fans than that. Sorry but I still say esapey.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah we once had a wild bird get in w/our Narragansetts and the offspring looked almost identical to our tame birds other than a little more green in the feathers of the offspring. Still had the white bands throughout and the powdered look though.I've never seen a piebald turkey so I'm not saying that it isn't one. But I have seen thousands upon thousands of tame turkeys and all I'm saying is 'consider' it. Nonetheless its a cool find. I know you talked about killing him this fall but I'd think about leaving him in the flock. You might end up w/a whole lot of those running around which would be cool.