Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 turkey hunting broad head question.. >

turkey hunting broad head question..

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey hunting broad head question..

Old 05-19-2007, 10:42 AM

Default turkey hunting broad head question..

who here uses the guillotien broad heads for turkey hunting? Ive seen them used in some hunting videos and they were sweet in those videos. no lost birds they droped right on the spot.
but they did not show how they got them set up, tuning problems(if any) or how the head went together.
I was wondering if some one from here that has used them could chime in.
I have a couple expandables i shoot right now, they have a wide cutting diameter. I was gona use those but im still worried about looseing a bird. my brother used a bow and lost birds but he was useing fixed blade heads made for deer hunting. so that is why i question the equipment. please advise.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: turkey hunting broad head question..

i can't answer your question, because i have no expiriance with the gullotines. However, if your looking for a good turkey broadhead i suggest the NAP Spitfire "Gobbler Getter", 2 for 2 with these heads.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:29 AM

thanks. I will see if there are any around and give them a look. thanks.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have been using the guillotines. You will most likely need longer arrows than what you normally use. This is to keep the 4" blades infront of your riser. You may even have to have long enough arrows to keep the blades infront of your sight, but I don't. I instead use a long enough arrow to keep the blades infront of my riser and then turn the blades so that they will go under my sight.
We used 3 blazer vanes, and they flew well for us. We practiced with 125 gr. field points, because we will need to re-sight your bow since you'll be using longer and probably heavier arrows than normal. We haven't found a good way to practice with the guillotines without ruining blades. Be sure to spin test the guillotines. We have found that if they don't spin true, they sure as heck won't fly true. You have to have those round tubes on the blades too, they really fly goofy without them.
We set our decoys up no more than 10 yards from the blind and have not taken any shots past 25 yards, and yip, there is no tracking wounded turkeys, they are DRT!