Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

ny luck

Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Default ny luck

any one from ny having the same luck as i amhavent herd a gobble since the frist the week only on the roost seams to be a tough year for me don't under stand but i will be backout this weekend got to here a gobble
Old 05-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Spike

Default RE: ny luck

Where are you located?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 PM

well i already posted this pic and the story but why not re-tell it.
I' m in college up in the adirondacks at the word of life bible institute, and my home is down near poughkeepsie bout an hour and a half north of the city. well the saturday the 6th i was able to go home so i could be with my family that sunday the 7th. i was debating whether or not to go out that sunday morning because i did not have all my gear including my decoys and my turkey gun..(all up at school). but being the hardcore(and sometimes stupid) turkey hunter that i am, i woke up sunday morning and decided to go out. i could only hunt untill 7:30 because of church that morning so i got up at quarter to 5 and got into the woods right at 5. a little late. i set up on the ridege behind my house, where the turkeys usually roost in the spring. i hit my crow call and got nothing, i didnt hear a single turkey all morning, i was very dissapointed. around 6:30 i walked up the hill to the top of the ridge and sat down facing down the hill with a small field behind me. I clucked a few times and made some yelps, every few minutes and raked the leaves, after a half hour of this i got discouraged and thought to myself ...what is the point, i havent scouted, i have no decoys, i have an old single shot 20 guage, and i havnt heard a single gobble all morning! this is stupid!..but i put my gun down and my calls, i regathered myself and looked around me, the morning was beautiful, a deer walked into the feild as a squirrel played near me, the trees were greening up and the dew on the ground was glistening. it was gorgeous. I sat their in amazement and thanked God for letting me be able to appreciate his beauty. i thanked him for my family and friends, i thanked him for his gift of salvation. and when i was done i had a completely different attitude. i told God right then, that if he wasnt gonna give me a turkey that would be fine. i had already been blessed.....and thats when i heard it..rustling in the leaves behind a fallen log to my left..only about 20 yards away. i listened a little bit longer and clucked on my diagphram, he thundered a gobble back! i slowly picked up my gun as he goblled again behind the fallen tree. he circled around behind me into the field gobbling every other second. Then he popped into full strut right behind me..the tree was very large so i slowly twisted around using the tree i was sitting against as a shield, i brought my gun around the tree and shot him with my old single shot at about 10 yards away!...God is soo Good!..he ended up weighing in at 22 pounds, with a beard just under 10 inches, and 1 inch spurs. My personal best

Old 05-15-2007, 08:18 PM

western ny lostprophet454 thats a fine story and good job nice bird hope i can get prased like that
Old 05-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

My spots haven't been known over the yrs as real good turkey spots. Usually get some action, and a few toms around. But this yr has turned out to be my best yr ever.
1st the youth hunt wknd I took out both my sons. My youngest, 12shot his first turkey a jake on the Sat. morning. Then on the Sun. my oldest, 15 shot his first turkey as well, also a jake. Both boys were pumped, and that alone made my season. I never expected could get any better.
May 1st, down to my camp. I finally got the monkey off my back there. Just a jake, but I was one proud hunter. Those birds have always been the toughest turkeys I've ever hunted. It see's alot of pressure. I normally let jakes walk, but in that situation it was so over due.
On May 6th I tagged out on a nice tom I'd scouted before season. It took me over 1hr to work him in, and I had to first work 2 hens to me, before he'd even make his way inmy direction. He had 8 5/8" beard, 1 1/16th & 1" spurs, 20lbs. Was one heck of a hunt.
Its a season I'll never forget!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Other than a double we took back on 5-2, I haven't had any luck with birds that want to play!! We did end up calling in a bird Monday morning for another buddy who was set-up 45 yards in front of us, but he MISSED!! I have yet to see a gobbler in my scope!![&:]
Old 05-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't hear a lot of gobbles this year. Just get out there and stick with it, you are bound to see some action! Best of luck!
Old 05-16-2007, 10:25 AM

NY can be tough state. the challenge will just make your skills that much sharper. Keep at it and good luck.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

They have been tight lipped a majority of the time that's for sure. I haven't heard anything in tyhe finger lakes region since the season started they have been henned up, I just got back from the northern adks where the hunting was better we had great action almost everyday out, I tagged a nice 20# 9 1/2 bearded, 1 1/4" spurred bird and had close encounters with a few other gobblersas well as many jakes, but it's wierd one day gobbles everywhere the next nothing. Probably the toughest season yet.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:48 PM

oh i well stick with it ! if don't tag one this spring there is always nextfall just love to see the sun rise he only made so many and i don't want to miss any

Quick Reply: ny luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.