Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What went wrong?

Old 05-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Spike

Default What went wrong?

All week I have been hearing tons of gobbling, then all of a sudden on Friday morning, not a single gobble. what happened? the weather didn't even change. Also, how do you get gobblers away from hens. I've tried decoys, cutting, purring, yelping, etc. Nothing works. Any ideas?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What went wrong?

i know what you are going through....happened to me this season....i'd hear them before each hunt and nothing come hunt day...all i can say is "if you think you know where they are, just be patient,maybe you'll have them come in like i did....i'd lose the decoys, clucks and purrs only....scratch the leaves...make them feel theres some nice lone hen feeding, all relaxed, waiting for mr.right"....
Old 05-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some mornings, they just don't feel like gobbling I guess. I had a case like that this year, I still called in a bird, it just came in quite. So be alert and don't let it bust you before you bust him (which I let it bust me). There still around, because they can't go inside. Just stick with it, set up where you know they like to go, and good things will happen. Tomorrow morning could be a totally different story.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say this, but like HuntnMa said, lose the decoys. I had a hard time doing that this year especially after getting a few new ones. So many times have I had toms come in and hang up out of range because hes waiting for the "hens" to come to him. I quit with the decoys and got my bird this morning and i believe if i woulda had decoys set up i wouldnt have gotten him. Let him come in looking for the hen rather than finding decoys and waiting for them to come to him. Turkeys are around, keep that in mind. Just because you dont hear gobbling, they travel so much and will be around. Ive had times where i wouldnt hear any gobbling and would get discouraged thinking no turkeys are around, but out of no where id hear a gobble. Just be patient, that is by far the key. Take something with you hunting that will pass the time when things get slow. Good luck to ya.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

I hate to say this, but like HuntnMa said, lose the decoys.
lol.......why do you hate to say that ? is it because you agreed with a woman or youre justa decoy kind ofguy ? hurts not to hunt with them huh , lol..............................i feel your pain....lol
Old 05-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

hahaha, no i didnt mean it like that. I just meant i hate to say it because decoys seem so user friendly. At least were on the same page with decoys lol.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL.......