Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Huntin' buddies

Old 05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Huntin' buddies

I have been pretty bored lately...... off from work, and turkey hunting is over at noon in NY, lol. So I've been putting alot of posts on here. Here's another I'd like to hear from you all about......and also see if you have pics!
Who is your favorite person/people to hunt with. What do you enjoy hunting with them? Whats your most memoriable and also your most succesful hunt with them?

Old 05-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Huntin' buddies

I enjoy taking my wife out turkey hunting with me when I go to Missouri. She films for me. This year my buddy Edwent to Missouri. Ed and I have hunted together in the past quite a bit. I can say my most memorable hunt with Ed is when we have double killed on some nice gobblers...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

from 12-15 i hunted with dad. he put birds on my lap every year but i never fired...never got the "perfect shot" 16 i could hunt alone...first day ever hunting alone i brought home my first turkey..a longbeard to boot. 2nd year i went out alone, dad had to work..brought home another longbeard. when i was 16 i started working...dad works alot...our schedules havent met up since

dad was more excited for me than i was when i brought home that first longbeard. he said he taught me well and was proud of me...i tried to talk him into turkey hunting this year...but havent yet...if he gets a saturday off im making him go. but thats unlikely. i miss hunting with him...he taught me alot..but kept alot of secrets as well...said somethings are better to learn yourself...

since then i really dont turkey hunt with anyone. i rather hunt solo. my friends arent serious about it and would foil more hunts than not...if i kill one early ill take my 1 buddy out...he tries to turkey hunt, but is self learning, along with my teaching. taught him to call, send him to the best spots..he killed 1 but i think it was more luck than anything...he started hunting with another buddy this year..hes a decint turkey hunter..but not 100% serious so i'll end up taking him this year unless he gets lucky again...

i just like hunting alone...exspecially when im the one that has to do all the work from scouting and locating to calling...

opening day i sent that buddy to the perfect setup. i told him what trees the birds would be in and where to setup and how to call...he didnt listen...sat down right underneath teh birds and wondered why they wouldnt gobble and flew away from him....reasons i dont like to take people
Old 05-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My younger cousin patrick because he is an excellent hunter and we are VERY successful together. I took him out and got him a 5pt buck last year and just last friday I called in 3 toms for him.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

my sister..... we always have a blast......
Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 PM

My hunting buddy's also been my main fishing buddy and my general outdoorsy buddy. Friends since Pre-kindergarten and really started fishing and hunting once we turned 16 and could drive.

My girlfriend went out with me for the first time Saturday and wants to go again. I think I just about have her hooked too. I'm a lucky guy.
-- B
Old 05-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with a good freind of mine from time to time during the season.
The second day of May proved to one that we both will never forget!!
We got into this set of woods very early, and soon heard several birds sounding off in front of us. We set up and gave some soft stuff to let them know we were there, and bam, they answered each call. Soon, I could tell that they were on the ground and comming in. This section of woods was hit hard by a late snowstorm back in February, and there was numerous branches down because of it. We tried our best to pick out an open area within. Soon I see movement, and here they came. Looked to be two nice sized birds sneaking in to our previous calls. I use a scope, and ended up fogging up my lens due to the excitement of the hunt. Soon I lost them in the branches, but my buddy starts purring and there they came towards him. They never went into full strut, and I could of swore that I seen a dandy beard on one of them. BOOM!!! My buddy Chuck shoots and I see his bird do a backflip, and I immediately started cutting loud to stop the other bird. Sure enough it worked, and he soon came running back and stuck his neck up looking fro the hen. Bang!! The second bird went down. We both scored on two "large jakes" LOL!!! They completely fooled us by their gobbles and size, but for two buddies to score a double exactly at 6:00am the second day of the season was........priceless!! Both birds had 5" beards, weighed 16 lbs, and had nubs for spurs!! First jake I shot since 1991!! LOL!! But what a morning hunt, it was well worth the price of admission!!