Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Are turkeys "callable" the whole day?? >

Are turkeys "callable" the whole day??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Are turkeys "callable" the whole day??

Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are turkeys "callable" the whole day??

Monday starts my turkey season and since i can only hunt in the afternoon, im thinking of hunting ALL day on tuesday if i dont get one monday. But i was just thinkin, I know the mornings are hot times to hunt, but will turkeys respond and come in to my calls and decoys at all times of the day? Because in the past I've noticed thata few hours after the sun comes up things start calming down. Ifthey do respond at all parts of the day Id like tohunt all day, but if they dont i dont wanna waste my time. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:13 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are turkeys "callable" the whole day??

Yes you can call them in anytime of the day. The afternoon and evenings can be the sest time. My best luck is in the afternoon.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:50 PM

I have called them in all durning the day , from dawn till dark(flyup time). taken several birds just befor dark.
go after them,when the hens go to the nest,mid to late morning they get fired up all over again.they get lonely.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:30 AM

yes but not always
Old 04-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

yes turkeys will respond to calls all day. try to set out some dekes near a food source and then set back a call.......... mix it up call loud call soft.... use purrs and clucks.......... my brother took a nice tom last spring around 11am while just useing some soft purrs.... tom never gobbled he just showed up. too many hunters think that you have to really get into the call(volume...tone) but you dont.... if something aint working try something else....ya just never know. good luck to ya.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

yes you can call them all day but when it gets warm mid day seems to be slow for me.but anything is possible.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

My favorite time is the first two hours

Next favorite time is 9 - Noon.

This is the fourth w/end of our season in Tennessee (5th counting the youth hunt). Now that the weather has returned to normal I suspect that the hens are ready to leave big boy earlier and go to nest. That leaves him alone at mid morning looking for love.

I can't stand hunting over decoys, so I like to go find turkeys if the early morning gobbler gets with hens and shuts up. Once I think it's time to go find another turkey I start walking and calling. I do this until I get a gobble or I'm ready to go somewhere else. I use a variety of mouth and pot calls, some high frequency and loud, some softer. I cut and yelp, starting with lower volume and building up to as loud as I can call. Several times I have seen gobblers respond only to the loudest calls even though they weren't so far away that they couldn't hear the preceeding softer ones.

I killed a birdthis pastSaturday at 1:15 andanother the next day at 11:45. Last year I killed one at 11:30 that gobbled his head off.

The turkeys are still out there, you just need to go find 'em. I don't have the patience to sit somewhere in one spot and wait for one to stumble across me - too much like deer hunting.

Mouthcaller
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

mouthcaller----thats definetly a good idea, walkin around and finding some. I would do that but Im only hunting on about 30 acres and basically i can only stay in one spot. Its hard to explain unless you walked this woods that i hunt. Haha, guess im gonna have to learn to be REALLY patient.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: neb

Yes you can call them in anytime of the day. The afternoon and evenings can be the sest time. My best luck is in the afternoon.
Agreed. I seem to have much better luck after 4:00 in the afternoon than I do first thing in the mornings. I hear a whole lot more in the mornings, but it is a lot harder to get one to come in. Afternoons are much more quiter, but I don't have near as much of a problem getting a gobbler to come in.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're probably never gonna hear the amount of gobbling you do in the morning all day, occasionally in the evening, but you can kill a turkey anytime of the day. And a particular bird might get hot and gobble at any point in the day. It's never a waist of time. Keep hunting till you fill all your tags, thats how I see it.