Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Recent cold snap!

Old 04-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Recent cold snap!

How will this recent cold snap in N IL affect opening day on April 16. It's not supposed to get a whole lot warmer, maybe 50's and a low in the 30's by then. Right now it's like 20's overnite and just at freezing during the day! Heck of weather for Easter weekend!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recent cold snap!

Last year I took a kid out for the Iowa youth season in north Iowa. That morning it was 28 degrees and it was VERY clear and the birds were going INSANE! They would start at one end of a 2 mile long stretch of woods and go all the way down and then all the way back. it was like the wave. One of the coolest things Ive ever heard. Also ended up getting one of those gobblers to come in strutting and everything. I'd say if it looks like its gonna be a good clear day to dress warm and hit em hard, but they may not want to gobble. Sometimes its hard to tell. just my two cents
Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 AM

it was below freezing when we got out there this morning, and there was an orchestra of gobblers. gobbling everywhere, one busted HUGE TOM, and after that another miss later, we went home empty handed. wasnt me tho, im 16 so i was just behind the camera today.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

I went out the past 2 sundays before the season and the birds were gobbling thier heads off. Then I went out yesterday, which was opening day here in Oklahoma, and they were as quiet as could be. It actually snowed on us a bit while we were out. A few friends of mine still took birds, but they sure werent as vocal as they had been when it was warm. Im headed out again monday and tuesday to see if I can bag a tom
Old 04-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

snow usually does shut them up IMO
Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Not much effect on them. I saw 3 strutters this morning and it was 25 here in Indiana...
Old 04-08-2007, 08:52 AM

i took a youth out for the youth hunt here in central virginia yesterday. snowed hard from when i woke up at 4 until 10 a.m. ground was completely covered in snow and we had them gobbling and strutting all the way up until we had to quit at noon. i'll have footage up on huntingfootage.com sometime this week.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input! It's not like I was going to change my plans though
Old 04-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

went to lexington wma.the morning before season opener and heard a couple of gobbles but the last three days nothing.
i hope it warms up and they get vocal.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

It maybe hit 40 here today in Indiana and I still saw mumerous birds. I saw around 50 turkeys today and I know of at least 10 gobblers. All were strutting... The cold snap did not slow down the strutting activity. My toms have been gobbling and strutting thru this cold snap...

Quick Reply: Recent cold snap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.