Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey Roost and leaf scratching questions >

Turkey Roost and leaf scratching questions

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Roost and leaf scratching questions

Old 04-02-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Turkey Roost and leaf scratching questions

I have heard people talk about leaf scratching for birds and was curious about it. My question is how exactly do you do it. do you just gently slide your hand through leaves or is it an agreesive slide or what. if anyone has any info for how to better do this technique please let me know.

Also for the roost question
I found an area down in a swamp bottom that seems to be a roost of some sort. The area under a big oak is covered in droppings. It looks like someone poured a powder down over a 30 yard radius under the tree and their are tons of feathers. However, the feathers are all a solid color which makes me think it may be something besides a turkey. Am i wrong or do other birds roost like this. Also at about ten o'clock there was a gobbler and at least one hen in the same area.[/align]
Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Roost and leaf scratching questions

Sounds to me like you found a roosting spot. Can you tell if the the feathers are turkey feathers? Not all of the feathers on a turkey are multi-colored. One way to know is to go close to the area after sundown and look/listen for turkeys flying up to roost or gobbling.

The leaf scratching isn't fast by any means.....unless a turkey is running which isn't good. If yo think about a group of turkeys feeding, try to mimic that same speed. I say slow and steady.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Leaf scratching is not difficult. You want do do it fairly light.
They are feeding, so to imitate it go something like scratch, scratch... pause and repeat, the pause would be the pecking on the ground if you will. Had hens go by on a number of occasions and that's pretty much it.
I ain't so sure about your feather thing, or the "powder" turkey doo is usuallt pretty solid, A glob for a hen, long piece for a Tom.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep ... just like zubba and Homer said about the scratching , just rub or pull your hand back in a soft slow motion.
As for the roosting tree ... yep ...you found one , a nice big oak with alot of limbs and all those dropingsand feathers on the ground next to a swamp.
They like to roost in trees like that and near or over water , they'll fly over that swamp or some where near it and get a drink.
Then they'll start feeding among the oak for acorns and bugs , set up some where near there and you'll be in great shape.
Good luck to you , hope you get a nice big heavey tom with long spurs and a long thick beard.