Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Federal Flitecontrol problems? >

Federal Flitecontrol problems?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Federal Flitecontrol problems?

Old 03-25-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Federal Flitecontrol problems?

I shot these from a Mossberg 835, at 25 yards the pattern was already huge, deadly, but way too big. At 50 yards there weren't many holes at all on a poster sized piece of paper, only 1 in a 8 inch circle. This was with a super full choke. With a modified results were slighty better, 9 in a 8 inch circle...still way under par. Is there any secret to get these to pattern? I bought two boxes after I heard nothing but good results, but my 20 gauge patterns way better!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Federal Flitecontrol problems?

$50 yards is a bit far to be patterning, IMO. Scoot in 10 yards and watch your pattern shrink!!! Good luck!!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

What choke? If it's a .665 try a .675 or visa versa.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

50 yds IMO way to far I agree w/ Calltomuch I've heard the "stories" on here about guys clobbering turkeys at 50 yds and up. May happen 1 in 10 times, mostly just educating him for tomorrow at best, but most times just crippling birds. Isn't what makes turkey hunting the best is the rush of seeing that bird strut at 20 yds and feeling that booming gobble that just about knocks your hat off. I wish guys would realize shotguns don't have the range of 7mm
Old 03-26-2007, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot those with good results from a Moss500. Federal says to use a Full choke and not an x-full turkey choke as this can interfere with the wad. Also bear in mind the flight control has less pellets due to the wad thickness. I get really good results with the undertaker choke and Winchester supreme's loaded with a full load of #6's,about 12-15 in the head and neck w/60 or so in on a 8x11 paper at 40yds. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

sorry last post meant to write I agree w/ CALLTOMUCH in reference to tykempster sorry
Old 03-26-2007, 05:47 AM

I have the same gun and I was going to p/up a box of them to pattern this weekend.I use the factory full turkey choke that I believe is called the ulti-mag full. Does anyone know what the diameter is. I have been using the same loads since I got the gun and have always liked the result but haven't patterned it against any other loads (due to cost). I don't want to buy a new choke so if anyone with this combo can sheds some light for us I would appreciate it. I dropped a bird at 51 steps last year with my current setup and yesterday put around 15 pellets in the head and neck area of a target at 40 yrds. Is it even worth buying a box of Federals and trying them.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:45 AM

Do allthe heavy wieghts have the flight control wads in them?I have found that the 835's don't like them at all.Ive ran several different chokes and none were ever close to a good pattern!
I ran some 3" flight control #4's thru my wifes BPS and they looked great.The choke is an old stardot that is .675 I think.
I would love to know if anybody has gotten the flight control to work in an 835!!! I know I can't do it. []
Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

My bunting buddy has a 835...It prefers the Winchester Supremes and #5s...
My Browning B-80 with a Hastings .640 prefers the Federal Premiums and #5s.

You've just got to try different loads and chokes.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tykempster

I shot these from a Mossberg 835, at 25 yards the pattern was already huge, deadly, but way too big. At 50 yards there weren't many holes at all on a poster sized piece of paper, only 1 in a 8 inch circle. This was with a super full choke. With a modified results were slighty better, 9 in a 8 inch circle...still way under par. Is there any secret to get these to pattern? I bought two boxes after I heard nothing but good results, but my 20 gauge patterns way better!
Is your 20 gauge a Rem

Quick Reply: Federal Flitecontrol problems?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.