Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Purring with a diaphram... >

Purring with a diaphram...

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Purring with a diaphram...

Old 03-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Purring with a diaphram...

If you're trying to go the gargling route, what you want to do is produce no sound [without a call in your mouth]. You don't want to make the gargling sound. What you do want is to vibrate your vocal chords pushing the air through your throat like you would if you were gargling.

I can't do it that way. In order to vibrate my vocal chords I have to make noise, so I can't purr that way.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

WH is right, I like to push my lips out a bit, kinda like you were blowing spit bubbles, keep em real relaxed... Sounds great when you get it.

(PS this is my 1000th post )
Old 03-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried quite a few things...and realized that there are three main ways to purr.

1) Vibrate your vocal cords, while pushing air through the diaphram.

2) Vibrate the diaphram with your tounge

3) Vibrate your lips (motor boat).

It is amazing what practice and time can do. When Istarted this post, I couldn't purr to save my life. Now I can purr as easy as with a diaphram as I can with my slate.

What I did: I messed around with the three different main methods. When messing around, there was one I just couldn't do (vibrate with my tounge), but could create a awefull/distressed turkey noise/half a$$purr when vibrating myvocal cords.....so I went with it. I put a diaphram in my truck and practiced the purrwhenever I drove.To work, to lunch, back to lunch, to home, etc. Everytime I drove, I would get more comfortable with it and could see my improvement. I probably have about 2 hrs of practice/driving time, and can now purr. (of course I will fine tune iteven more between now and opening day) Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:52 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Yep, I got your meaning (understood) the first time. Thanks again
Old 03-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Forget the lip thing boys! Open that mouth[remember the fish kiss thing from child hood, form your lips in O shape]and flutter your tongue with no call in your mouth. When you can flutter the tongue enough to feel it bouncing on the roof of your mouth then put the call in your mouth and do the same thing. It is going to tickle your tongue something terrible until you learn to control it. But once you do, you will be able to raise and lower volume and pitch. I can do a fighting purrs this way. I can match your slate purr. It did take time to learn, but it is well worth it.
Gselkhunter
Old 03-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can do the motorboat lip thing and the tongue flutter thing, and can pass with a purr. I'm gonna have to get me a new old boss hen to practice with before May rolls around though. I'd just rather not make any sound or movement when I have one coming in, but I feel more comfortable just doing soft clucks with the diaphragm if I had to rather than try a purr and mess things up when it counts.

Imagine if someone took the above out of context? If it was my wife reading this instead of a bunch of turkey hunters,she would probably slap me and call her lawyer!
Old 03-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

If you can master the purr, you can move on to the fighting purr, which is much more aggressive with clucks and putts interspersed in the sequence. After that, you can start to master the gobble, which is darn near impossible.
See I am the other way around. I thought the gobble was a snap. Purring, by using what call makers refer to as the "gargling" method is seemingly out of reach for me. Too many years of calling ducks I suppose...too many bad habits. I keep hoping that eventually I'll do it by accident horsing around with one...but we'll see.

The way I purr is using the motor boat method. For a fighting purr, I use the normal side of the call, short reeds down. For a hen purr, I invert the call, which gives it a much higher pitch. I stretch my mouth out, so I don't get to much "motor boat" noise. Works for me and mine.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:24 PM

Hey prefer the slate call myself when it comes to purring and doing some other calls also but I also like the box call also. But since I got some newer stuff I'm going to see which works better now. Plus check out TOP CALLS www.topcalls.com and see wat you think of their calls. Personally I like their calls alot.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I purr better with no call in. When I have a call its a mess. I'm going to try a lot of the suggestions you guys made. It'll give me something to do driving around for work.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I purr using the back of my throat.