Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bow hunters....????

Old 03-15-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Bow hunters....????

Do turkeys jump the string at all....in any direction. Granted they may move/run, but is there any verticle movement when they spook?

This will be my first try, Just got the new bow and am workin on the sights now, but wanted to make sure if the bird is really spooky if i should judge some play in there.

Thanks so much

Pine
Old 03-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow hunters....????

It all depends... I have seen lots of birds taken on the tube with bow and arrow and the vast majority did not jump at all.

I am going to try and bow my first one this year... so I'll let you know soon, but I am planning to aim for what I want to hit, my bow is pretty fast and nice and quiet. Turkey's tend to shuck and jive a lot anyway, but hopefully my decoys will keep their attention fixed and they will hold still for me.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Theinespines3

Do turkeys jump the string at all....in any direction. Granted they may move/run, but is there any verticle movement when they spook?

This will be my first try, Just got the new bow and am workin on the sights now, but wanted to make sure if the bird is really spooky if i should judge some play in there.

Thanks so much

Pine
I have only taken two with a bow, both this fall. From my perspective there was no jumping the string. I beleive the arrow was hitting home before they knew it. Not sure either knew what hit them. So I would have to say not really. But then again each time is a new situation and it could all change!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Theinespines3

Thanks so much

Pine
Turkwys react different then deer when spooked. Deer will flinch (drop in statue) then run while a turkey, if spooked by sound or movement (rom a distance) will drop their heads and run. Their body position does not change like the deer, but their heads/neck will. If you are extremly close and are an imeadiate threat, they will fly, but they prefer to run from danger.

Remember, your not shooting long distances at the turkey with your bow. It is best to keep your shots 25 yards or closer and the 25 yards is a little far in my opinion. At those distances, turkeys will be hit with the arrow before it hears the sound. If it sees you, then your busted .

Good luck.