Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hastings chokes

Old 03-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hastings chokes

Anybody use a Hastings turkey choke? If so what's the scoop on 'em? My buddy has a Hastings .640 and he says it's the best choke he owns. Just wondering.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:20 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Hastings chokes

I have Hastings on my Benelli and Remington 11-87.

Tried a few others and stuck with what worked for me.

Oh Iuse #4 Winchester Supreme copper plated shot.

Tried heavy shot - didn't like it and besides the above did kill many many turkeys. So why change what I was thinking.

To me the chokes and the various loads are all there to make ya buy the newest and latest greatest thing. Turkey hunting gimics has become a big business. And the various manufactures allboast of long yardage killing! So what? Turkey hunting in the purest form is calling that bird up close and personal so ya can see the whites of their eyes and then take his head off. Long range past 20-30 yards is not turkey hunting IMO.

Sorry

JW
Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Hastings .640 on my Browning B-80...I can put 16-18 pellets in a turkey head/neck at 40 yards, load is Federal Premium 3 inch mag 2 ounce number 5s...I use the older loading without the Flight Control...

The local gun shop recommended this choke for the Browning with Invector chokes as he had sold one to another customer and he was getting good patterns...

Can't say its the "best" as its the only one I have...
Old 03-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

I use a 640 hastings in a new england pump pardner with 3 inch #6's. I just bought an undertaker and don't like it. The pattern spreads too much. At 40 yards, in a 6 inch circle I can put about25-30 pellets in it with my hastings. Can't do that with the undertaker. I only got about 15 in the circle. Thats enough to kill a bird but not to my likeing. Shot it with differnt loads and brands the hasting out shot it.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

My buddy used to shoot for Hastings. He won them serval World Championships at the NWTF Still Target shoot. He now shoots for Indian Creek. You can't beat Hastings for the money. I have them for Remington, Benelli,& Mossberg.