Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team Beard Busters [5]

Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Default RE: Team Beard Busters [5]

Well guys I am out of the woods for the morning.....

I have yet to hear one gobble. That sucks

But i have found where a tom has been the last two days between 8-10 and I just got permission to hunt about 25 yards from the field where he goes.
I did have an intersting walk out though. A hen flushed up out from by a bush and as i watch something fell.....It was an egg that dropped. It cracked when it landed but that was weird!!!

SpringSpur. Thanks for askin about my mom. She is doin well she has a minor complicaiton we are working out with her heart rate goin way to high and not comin back down for a long time. But time will tell

Just finished with my last exam last night and i dont work until sunday so i have time to devote to this tom.
Only issue is tonight....Its league night at the gun club where i hunt so that throws off where they roost.

Good luck and congrats
Mike
Be back out after a quick nap. these huntin hours are hard just past 8 pm and then i have to wake up at 3 to get to the woods for the open the next morning.

P
Old 05-19-2007, 05:46 PM

Well I am done, and no bird.

I have to work tomm morning and then that is it so sorry guys.

I walked in this morning and flushed my tom off the roost, wasnt able to roost um last night cause of work, and he flew down to the river bottom and about 10 min later i heard 2 shots.

Went back out tonight and the farmer was tillin up the fields and i asked him why today, "Cause i got my bird this morning!"

It flew in to him in the river bottom and he shot twice.

The specs on it---26 lbs, 11.5 in beard, 1.25 and 1 in spurs

Oh well there is always next year. I told him i had not shot the bird cause it was across his fense line and i did not want to disrepect him or his property and i could have had him over 5 times with the last couple days all except the fense and he told me to talk to him next year about that stupid fense. He told me that was really responsible and that i am a good judge of moral character, the kind of person he would want hunting his property!
Well heres to next year
Pines
Old 05-20-2007, 05:06 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well I am done too!

My group of four - three of out four of us shot over a 21 lb Tom.

Mine was a Double Bearded 22.5 lb Tom - Beards 5 1/2 inch and 10 1/4 - spurs 1 inch and 1 1/4 inch. Nice bird to end my tenth year with this gang.

Your score is 22.5 + 10 + 12.5 + 31.5 = 76.5

JW
Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

respect pines.

well done JW! nice bird.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:33 PM

Well guys...

I just got a call from the landowner who's property we hunt and had some news...

The toms are back where they usually are in the beginning of the season, which means the hens have gone to nest. I have one day left to try and pull something together. I'll be out all day Thursday trying to stick one.

We'll see how things go.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:08 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well Dan any last minute updates?

I tried to post to have Team #5 check in and check their scores but got no reponse.

JW
Old 06-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

JW or WH I sent WH a PM on my score and I also posted it a couple pages ago. Let me know if I need to repost
Old 06-01-2007, 05:22 PM

No last minute luck for me.

Yesterday had to have been one of the most miserabely frustrating days I've had in the woods. Ever.

It all started off by getting into the woods way too late.

We pulled into the landowner's driveway sometime around 6:30 and happened to watch as several toms and their harem of hens flew the roost and into a field. Damn!

So we circle the field and get set up, only to have a coyote run through and spook the birds back into the trees. Double damn!

No problem, we'll call, wait them out, and eventually they'll fly back down. We call, four toms gobble. We call. Five toms gobble. We call. We can't count them all. The garbage truck drives up the road. Three toms gobble.

Suh-weet, right?

Huh... My leg itches. I look down to find I'm leaned up against a tree that about a billion ants have made their home. Now, it doesn't register at first that my legs itch because they're on the inside of my pants as well as the outside. So what do I do? Brush the ones on the outside off and spend the next several minutes wondering why my legs still itch...

Long story short, had you been walking through my set up yesterday morning you would have seen a half naked young man trying to brushabout ahundred or so ants off of his legs.

No big deal, the turkeys are still gobbling. But whats that? Putt. Putt. Putt-putt. Damn! The hen is trying to get the flock back together, and she succeeds! So we try and piss the hen off, get her agitated enough to come into our set. She gets pissed alright, but takes the toms in the oppsite direction.

By now it's 11:00 or so and it has to be hotter than the back seat of the cab to hell. I mean it was mis-er-abley hot. Hottest day of the year so far, 93 degrees on the ride home.

We didn't hear another gobble all day, and by 5:00 we packed it up and headed home, leaving the ants, but more importantly the turkeys, to live another year.

Edit* I forgot to mention that I had taken my thermacell with me fishing last Sunday, only to leave it in my tackle box yesterday morning. I wound up getting bit multiple times, including twice behind my right ear and once directly below my right eye. It looks like I went a round in a boxing ring instead of turkey hunting!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

JW or WH, Ive got the same problem as copper 31, my score was'nt posted. 17.2 lbs 11.25 beard 1'' spurs. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cliché I know, wash, but there is always next year!