Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Team 9 -- "Gobbler Getters" >

Team 9 -- "Gobbler Getters"

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team 9 -- "Gobbler Getters"

Old 05-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Team 9 -- "Gobbler Getters"

Well guys sad to say I will not be upgrading,but I didtag my last bird of the season withmy bow.I don't know if everyone is familiar with the bird I call pooh.He is a nice 3yr old with a 10" or better beard and 1" or so spurs.He lives primarily in a 100 acre block of woods..hence the name pooh.
My friend Stan saw this bird in early April and asked me did I want to try a bird with my bow.I told him I was up for it.Stan had kept tabs on this bird for over a week,and I tried to get him on friday the 13th in april.
I went right where he told me the bird was and he was there!I saw the direction he was traveling,and got in front of him.I clipped 5 feathers off of him at 10 steps as my arrow was deflected by a small branch.[]

I stayed out of the area for 2 weeks to let things calm down.He had moved to the other side of the road since I missed him,and he was staying there all the time.I checked on him periodically,and Stan kept check on him too.I tried to get him 3 times since the miss,and could never get close again.

Today I woke up late,and checked the weather out.It had just rained in the area where he was so I struck out that way.Time I got there who do I see?Pooh and his friend I call piglet.Piglet was a 2yr old and didn't get his name until today.I call him piglet because he has a very curly beard at the end like a pigs tail,and he lived in the 100 acre woods as well.[8D]

I saw what direction they were going and knew what to do.I sprung into action and after a good walk got into position.I watched both birds half strutting as they tried to dry out their feathers.After almost an hour of that I got to thinking more about my position and decided to move to a different location.I found 2 bushes and got between them.I broke little branches out of my way so I could get a clean shot with my bow.

Finally the birds started my way.They went into a ditch and I could only see one of them,and it was the smaller of the 2.When he got about 15 steps I drew back,and when he got broadside at 12 steps I released.At first I thought I had missed but he started doing backflips,and I saw the arrow sticking out of him.I exploded out of the tree line and crossed the ditch as he went into the opposite tree line.I stood at the edge of the woods listening for him to move again.I heard nothing.I took a step in the tree line and there he was 8yds in.I walked up to him and finally laid hands on my first bow kill turkey.

I wish I could have gotten the bigger of the 2 but I am not greedy.Late season,with a bow on public land..I'll take what I'm given.I hope everyone enjoys my story and can feel the excitement that comes along with a bow kill.Without my friend Stan I would have never gotten this bird.

I am shooting a Diamond Victory with Carbon Maxx arrows and a 125gr Gobblergetter broadhead.It does major damage I have wound pics if anyone is interested just pm me.The bird weighed 13lbs 2oz,has a 8 1/8" beard,and 3/4" spurs.Here is a pic.

Good luck to everyone else,and I will ckeck in with ya'll later on.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Nice going ranchand99. Looks like you've had a great season!
I just got back from WI.and took a nice longbeard on my second day.The bird was with another larger gobbler and they werewith 2 hens.I had to get the hens to come in as those 2 longbeards were following those hens where ever the hens would take them.I got one of the hens to talk back with me and they,the hens,came in to check me out with the gobblers in tow.
I had to take the non strutter as the strutting bird was just a bit to far for me to try and take. The one I took was at 46 yards and that is as far as I care to try a shot.
This bird weighs in at 20 lbs 3oz. with 3/4" and 3/4" spurs and has a 10 1/2" beard. He scores out as 56.1875.
I'm off to my home state of MN. a try on the 10th. HopefullyI can tag out on another bird, but if not,I've already had a pretty good year.
As for our other bird scores,I've emailed them in to deerdust,so I'm sure he will get them posted when he has a chance to.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ranchand99 you are tearing them up! Way to go on the bow kill. I'm trying for my second bow kill and this year has just been terrible. I've only heard gobbling on one day. We can hunt all day starting today so I'm going to try and get some evening hunts in now. I haven't gone to our honey hole farm this year because money is tight so I've only been hunting public mountain birds and it's definitely more work.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:54 PM

Our season in Indiana has been very tough this year. I have been trying to get a bird for the team but it is to hard. I have been getting my butt kicked everytime I go out. The birds aren't gobbling at all over here it is weird. I have this weekend to get the job I will keep you guys informed on what happens.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats Paintbrush!Keep at it the rest of you,and good luck!Bowhunting turkeysis fun,but stressful!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

hey everyone havnt been on in a little bit congrats ranchand way to go you been slaying them. well i finally got one for the team hes not very big but only my second bird ever and i called this one in myself. hes a little jake he weighed 14.53 pounds with 4 1/4 inch beard 1/8 inch spurs. i got up at 6 when i was supposed to be goin to school and looked out and saw a bird in the feild so i snuck down on him and then he was gone but i had a pretty good idea he just went threw the hedrows and was in the other feild so i snuck up and went threw one of the hedrows and i could see him strutting only 55 or 60 yards away so i set up and started to use my box call and he was hammering every thing i threw at him and he started to come in and hung up for a second then he finally broke and came threw the hedrow right were i wnated him to cause it was the only shot i had and i nailed him at 40 yards 14.53 pounds 4/14 inch beard and 1/8 inch spurs ill try for another one this weekend good luck everyone
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, ryncam, I killed something similar this year, but unfortunately I ain't going to be able to go out in the woods again for turkeys this spring, very complicated situation.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Team!

Well I got a bird on Friday, May 4th. Haven't gotten one for 3-4 years so it's extra special! Nice jake...15 pounds, both spurs 1/4" and beard 4 3/4". I'm working hard now trying to get a big gobbler who has one hen and gets dragged away by her...
Old 05-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats to the both of you!!!!

Quick Reply: Team 9 -- "Gobbler Getters"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.