Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who has a Mossberg 535

Old 02-18-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Who has a Mossberg 535

I know this could have went in the firearm forum, but Ifiguredsince its turkey specific I would get better responses here.

I just got a mossberg 535 22" barrel with their turkey choke. In an effort to save money on chokes, shells, and shoulder discomfort, I was wondering who else had one and what choke and shell combo they use. D**ks has a sale right now on the 535 turkey field combo, with tru-glo red dot scope for 299. I went to pick one up and I saw they also had a 535 with thumbhole stock with the cheek piece and a tru-glo, but it was not on sale,I asked the manager if I could get this one for the sale price and to my surprise they said yes . So thanks again to them! As for the red dot scope do any of you use it? The stock sights are tru-glo as well and I like them but I have not fired it yet. Any assitance would be appreciated.

By the way I was aware of the "pump rattle" before I purchased it, it only does this when you shake the gun up and down and personally I dont do that in the field. I am also aware that the 870 is only slightly more $ and an excellent gun, so there is no need for telling me that either. Thanks Jim
Old 02-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who has a Mossberg 535

All guns shoot different. Choose a choke and try it out with some different shells. That is about the best way to do it.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Sweet deal! I saw that sale in the paper today.

I have an 835 Thumbhole, and I wasn't fortunate enough to get it for the same price as the standard stock equivalent.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive got one and it is sweeeet, ishot good patternsat 50 yards with mine last year using the stock choke and federal flitecontrol 3 1/2 #5's geat shooting gun not to mention that the price is right for just about anyone!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

your going to have to expend a lot of shoe leather or computer time trying to find a better deal than mossburg. gander mountain just sent me a flyer with the 835 combo for 299. walmart, dicks sporting goods any where they carry them your bound to find a reasonable deal. talk to the salesman or woman and ask if they have any trade ins you never know because sometimes they dont have room on the display for all them. as for the 535, i got a better deal on my 500. 179 with a rifled slug barrel and a 26" ported vent rib, with turkey chokes. used of course but mint condition.as for chokes and loads thats different from gun to gun, you will have to work that out for yourself. good luck
Old 02-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

The 535 is a great gun, used it for my first turkey gun. Last year I bought a 835 and put a 2x truglo on it and love it. On my 535 I used a truglo choke. on my 835 I use a kick's , both with Winchester Extended Range number 5's in a 3 1/2 incher.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 AM

I have a 935 with a star dot choke tube i shoot winchester extended range 3 1/2 6's and i have yet to find a gun and i mean any gun even other mossbergs besides my fathers 835 that will hold the same patten at 40 yards and out
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Muskegon Jim!!

I went and bought the same set up you did.... Paid the actual price though since they had the one for $299 in stock LOL.

Anyone ever shoot the 2 3/4 loads? I am letting my daughters use this gun and in hopes not to bruise them up to badly wanted to try the smaller shells? Any opinions?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:43 PM

bull,
sure 2 3/4 will get the job done. Make sure she keeps the distance short. Without doing any patterning myself I would guess no more than 30 yrds. Buy her a limbsaver recoil pad, and you will also appreciate it when you use those 3.5" 2 oz shots. Just buy a few boxes of different shells and a good choke and see which one will give you the best 2 3/4 pattern. I doubt you will be able to get anyone to give you any specifcs especially with the 535 since I have a hard time getting info on this newbie. Let us know what shot/choke you go with.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

LOL, I was just gettin on here to ask about this exact gun! I saw it at Gander Mt. and really liked it. It was not on sale and they wanted $359.99, I might check Dicks and see, gotta find the nearest Dicks first, but I really liked this gun. Shoot it and see what ya think, I kinda want a report on how you like it.

Quick Reply: Who has a Mossberg 535

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.