Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

just curious?

Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 AM
jjo

Default just curious?

i'm curious about when a poult becomes a jake, when a jake becomes a tom? when do they start to gobble?

jjo
Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: just curious?

Male poults will become jakes within their first year and try to gobble , within two years of age they will be full fledge tom's and gooble alot better and more often.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with RD. but it kinda varies bird to bird a little bit. generally speaking jakes will short gobble or half gobble. they can be picked out VERY easy sometimes. sometimes youd never know he was a jake...good gobbles and lots of them. and ive had longbeards come in i woulda bet the pot was a jake. alot of times i can pick them out...but once in a blue moon youll get a long beard with a funky gobble. jakes will indeed gobble their first spring. then the next year they are considered a tom or longbeard...

but be carefull judging them by the beards..ive seen pics of pure jake birds with 6 and 7 inch beards. usually they have a 1-4 inch beard that tents to stick straight out of their chests..the best way i found to judge them is their tails...if they go into full strut. the middle feathers on their tail will usually be longer than the rest of the fan by an inch or 2.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

..the best way i found to judge them is their tails...if they go into full strut. the middle feathers on their tail will usually be longer than the rest of the fan by an inch or 2.
This is the way that I have always judged the size of a gobbler / jake.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
jjo

thanks guys, i knew someone on here wouid know.

jjo
Old 02-15-2007, 01:36 PM

[imauser's got you up to speed with the difference between a juvenile and an adult but as far as poult to jake goes. Jakes and jenny's are born as poults. "Juvenile" male or femalebeing the key word. I supose it they may not differentiate until a point of plumage.[/align][/align]Here's one for yu.[/align]Are there more bulls or steers born in the U.S, each year.[/i][/align]
Old 02-15-2007, 03:58 PM

sometimes youd never know he was a jake...good gobbles and lots of them
tell me about it, i shot a bird this spring that i still cant figure out. gobbled like a matur tom all the way in, puffed up into full strut with a full fan, and even ad a big gobbler head. never could see the beard because of how tall the grass was, but needless to say i shot. then to my disbelief i got over there and it had a4inch beard and absolutely NO spurs. how do you explain this? would this be a gobbler or jake? idc either way i am proud of this bird (first i called in and killed all by myself), just curious.

Here's one for yu.
[/align]Are there more bulls or steers born in the U.S, each year.[/i]
i may be stupid, but arent steers simply bulls that had their boys clipped at an early age. ive always heard they do this because it makes the meat alot better. idk just the way ive always understood it.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:00 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

tell me about it, i shot a bird this spring that i still cant figure out. gobbled like a matur tom all the way in, puffed up into full strut with a full fan, and even ad a big gobbler head. never could see the beard because of how tall the grass was, but needless to say i shot. then to my disbelief i got over there and it had a4inch beard and absolutely NO spurs. how do you explain this? would this be a gobbler or jake? idc either way i am proud of this bird (first i called in and killed all by myself), just curious.

i may be stupid, but arent steers simply bulls that had their boys clipped at an early age. ive always heard they do this because it makes the meat alot better. idk just the way ive always understood it.
With a full fan, was more than likely of a late hatch two Summers earlier. That would make him about a 20 month oldadult Tom.

The cow thing was just bull, but was actualy a question on an exam way back in High Shool Ag class.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

shallowrio.....you are correct...id imagine that they molt during the fall i believe... AND...my farmer friend says something like 60-75% of his calves are males..he said its pretty close to 1-3 to 1-4 calves being males....and hes a dairy farmer so he dont like that much lol. dont know if thats national or not..but thats what he expiriences and he drops alot of calves each year..

lol never mind...playin tricks sayin bulls and steers lol...my bad i read to quickly lol
Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned in early posts, poults will become jakes within their first year. But a jake will try to gobble. Jakes gobbles are normally short and higher pitched. Their gobbles also sound like they choked half way through gobbling. Most times you can tell a jake gobble from a Tom gobble. By the time the turkey is living his second Spring, he will be a tom, will full tail feathers and a strong gobble.