Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Sneak attack

Old 02-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Sneak attack

I see on so many hunting shows, and hear from so many stories about how they got the turkey to come in and it hungup about 70 yards or so and left, so they gave up and just waited till the next morning to try again. If I call in a bird and it hangs up out of range, like one I shot two years ago, I just use the terrain to my advantage to sneak up on it or get between where he is and where he is going. Turkeys have good eye sight for sure but if you can stay out of sight, go into stealth mode and make it your mission to kill that bird, it is possible. I know its fun when all you have to do is set up and he comes like he has never been hunted before, but when you have a situation where it just dosn't happen that way, dont give up if you realy want him.If anythingwill also get a good work out, I promise you that.-LOL. Has anyone ever killed a bird this way when nothing else works or have any other methods they use when working one in don't work?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:58 PM

Default RE: Sneak attack

I like it when they come right in.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Ya, I would rather them come right in to me instead of going to him. But you get a different excitement and satisfaction sneaking up on them like a real predator. realy gets the adrinalin going
Old 02-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

I do what it takes 80% of the birds I kill I call in but like you said they hang up.And you have to move on them. It maybe switching calling locations or moving closer to get within range.Some states it is illegal to stalk a turkey. I call it improving my position.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

I see on so many hunting shows, and hear from so many stories about how they got the turkey to come in and it hungup about 70 yards or so and left, so they gave up and just waited till the next morning to try again. If I call in a bird and it hangs up out of range, like one I shot two years ago, I just use the terrain to my advantage to sneak up on it or get between where he is and where he is going. Turkeys have good eye sight for sure but if you can stay out of sight, go into stealth mode and make it your mission to kill that bird, it is possible. I know its fun when all you have to do is set up and he comes like he has never been hunted before, but when you have a situation where it just dosn't happen that way, dont give up if you realy want him.If anythingwill also get a good work out, I promise you that.-LOL. Has anyone ever killed a bird this way when nothing else works or have any other methods they use when working one in don't work?
Yep, I agree, on some birds that's what works!!