Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Sneak attack!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sneak attack!

In my last issue of Turkey and Turkey Hunting magazine they did a piece on "bushwacking" a Tom. I was just curious what some of the people around here think about the subject. I'm not talking about changeing set-up on birds, but ol' fashion belly crawl type stalk threw mud, manure, or thorns... whatever it takes. I personally don't care to do it. I don't look down on anyone that will. I just prefer the hunt play out in the "classic" turkey hunt style, call'em in, and hopefully tag'em.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sneak attack!

Although it is an effective method for many hunters...I agree with you. I don't care to do it, and respect those who do. To each their own.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:01 PM

I think it's one of those "last resort" type things. I bellycrawled a good 300 yards last season to get to a hung up bird, only to have him spot me and run off when I'd closed in to about 60 yards. I got the bird a few days later with a classic sit and call style.
-- B
Old 03-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Moot point. Its illegal to stalk birds here. Its a safety thing.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

I believe the law in PA says that it is illegal to stalk a turkey in the spring. But even if it were legal, I would rather do it the "classic" way.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a prob with it
Old 03-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

I do not have a problem with it either.Ben Lee did it and that is about as classic as it gets
Old 03-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

I'd love to call every one in, and have so far but one in my short (5 year) experience, but if you bushwack by stalking 300 yards on yer belly through the dirt, leaves, manure etc. that everyone is talking about without ole Tom busting you by golly thats an accomplishment in itself.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Bushwacking, running and gunning or whatever you want to call it is a whole lot of fun.

There is no bigger thrill than getting a tom to go against his nature and come to the call, but........I use the bw/r&g technique as just another part of my arsenal. Believe me, being able to work within shooting distance of a mature tom is a worthy feat.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

killed a couple that way. It sure ain't easy. It's a different challenge buta challenge non-the-less. I'd pick callin them in first. My first time a gobbler was struttin in a circle of 3 hens in late season. He wasn't going anywhere and any callin would of sent those hens the other way. My heart was racin' as I inched my way into position. It was fun for sure.

Quick Reply: Sneak attack!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.