Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Couple Questions

Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Couple Questions

Rusty,
Are the turkeys roosting close to where you are setting up? If they know where you are they probably will change their route. If they don't know you are there and you always see them in a particular spot are you calling to much or to loud? You could always try not calling at all if they are always there.
As far as decoys go, you have to try to figure out what the turkeys like at that particular time. I have set out 2 hens and a jake and it will work sometimes it won't, toms will only come in so far and go the other way. Then i will just use one or two hens most of the time just one without that jake, you just have to try different things
Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 AM

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

Here's a picture of my decoy set up

my brother had a problem getting a group of old gobblers to come into his settup one year. there was a big L shaped field. the birds were in the far end and according to him "just appeared out of nowhere" in the open. turns out they were useing the fields drainage ditch to sneak out into the field. they would either go on our hunting prop. or go the other way. some how they would allways go the other way when he would come out to hunt. I hunted a nother patch of woods not far from his and one day I wasnt haveing any luck so I watched him hunt.
he was still moveing around when it was getting light and made a lot of noise comeing into his set up. this made it obvouse some one was over there doing some thing. it was so obvoise that im sitting in my patch of woods hunting a different field I could hear the noise and nearly pin point its location. it was enough to make me look in his direction and think WTF are U DOING!!!!
turkeys can see but dont forget they can hear really freakin good too. they are really good at pin pointing sound too. ive seen old toms comeing to a set up and stop, look right at the caller and then turn around and go away putting. he pin pointed the location of the sound then scrutinized that area and found us. thats why If i use blinds i use natural cover ,trees brush bushes stuff like that. I really like a set up where the trees or atleast tall grass and bushes completly cover me up from the side turkeys are comeing from but give a good clear shooting lane like what you have there. they have no chance of seeing me untill they are in the set up, then all i gota do is draw down on one[>:][&:]still working on a good method of doing that, all I can say that works every time is do it slow and smooth, and when there back is turned in full strut is a really good time to get your bow all the way back and on target there.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: trophy time

Rusty,
Are the turkeys roosting close to where you are setting up? If they know where you are they probably will change their route. If they don't know you are there and you always see them in a particular spot are you calling to much or to loud? You could always try not calling at all if they are always there.
As far as decoys go, you have to try to figure out what the turkeys like at that particular time. I have set out 2 hens and a jake and it will work sometimes it won't, toms will only come in so far and go the other way. Then i will just use one or two hens most of the time just one without that jake, you just have to try different things
They Roost on the property that back up to ours and they come across to feed in the field. I'm not sure of the path, but I will keep that in mind. I will try not calling and see if that helps. never thought about that. I always thought that the more you call the faster they come in. Now reading and researching I come to figure that I'm probably only hurting myself. Give it a few yelps and leave it at that. Thanks for all the help guys... Nice setup shooter. Looks like a great place to get a trophy.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:12 AM

Nice Set up RDH.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

The hunt begins as soon as you step foot out of the truck. In darkness you must have a proper route to get to your set up. If a bird watches you from 100 yds back in the bush walk the feild edge with a flashlight and set up your dekes, load your gun and get ready, he's probably not coming to feed in that feild. Be quiet, slip along, heck crawl if you have to. Get into your set up undetected. It is not a natural sound for a turkey to hear a limb break, a cough, sneeze etc. Some guys think because it's still dark and the turkeys are "asleep" they can get away with more.

I believe you said they gobble and have been seen in this feild at springtime so that's the biggest hurdle. They don't necessarily breed (or hens don't necessarily nest) where you see them at other times of year.

If they are call shy try nothing more than a flydown with your cap and/or awing. Maybe a couple purrs and clucks if you get a gobble from the flydown. Give a few yelps is fine but what kind of yelps? You need the right feeling for the moment. If you're going for the subtle, relaxed turkey sound (usually the best bet) then you don't want those couple yelps to sound excited. A few excited yelps and then you stop could hurt you. The gobbler hears this excited hen and then she shuts up. What gives? He might think something doesn't seem right. Pay attention to the feeling in your calls. You don't have to be a good caller to kill a turkey but you have to have emotion in your calls. After that listen to his emotion. It will help tell you what he is thinking and whether you should adapt your calls.

Is thier hens usually there? It could be that you aren't necessarily doing anything wrong but good ole mother nature is beating you. A live hen will win. If this is the case sometimes it is patience that gets left in the truck. If he walks off and goes with a group of hens he will possibly breed, be shut out, or lose the hen (like if she goes to nest). In any case it might be 3-4 hours later and he decides to head back to the feild to see if that morning bird (you!) is still hangin around. Hunt until you can't hunt anymore. If your state is noon then try staying put until noon. 11:45 am could be the turning point for finally tagging one of those birds
Old 02-06-2007, 12:02 PM

It's always a group of them out there when i see them. Thanks for all the detailed info. I would have never thought that they were that sensitive when it is still dark.. I get out there about an hour to 1 1/2 before daylight. I will keep that in mind. I have seen them all times of the year. Especially toward the end of winter.. You guy know a whole lot about hunting turkeys. Comes with experience I guess.