Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gun preference question

Old 02-04-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Gun preference question

This is my second year hunting turks. I have been using an OLD 16 guage. It has been working for me but load choices are MINIMAL. My kills are close and you know sometimes you just have to take that 40 yard shot if thats all you can get. So I want to buy a 12 guage. I have been looking around at my gun shops and something confused me. I saw a lot of models that were supposably TURKEY guns. I would have expected turkey guns to have long barrells. Some did but others were short, not scatter guns short, but up to 4 inches shorter than others. Is there a prefered length out there amongst the turkey hunting community? What are the pros and cons of each? Whats your opinions on what I should be looking for? Thanks Jim
Old 02-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gun preference question

MJ,

There's pro's and con's to all length of turkey gun barrels. I started with a 26 inch, improved cylinder, 20 ga. and I swear, I believe I killed just as many turkeys' back then as I do now. Maybe I was more patient than now! I have 3 or four turkey guns now, that are specialized for turkey hunting, but I honestly believe, regardless of how specialized the gun, nothing replaces skill and patience. If you call, they will come, may take some time, but these will pay off. Gun and barrell length are great, but patience out ways them all. I have since gone back to a single shot gun, living in the past, maybe, but loving every minute. dog1
Old 02-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

I have several turkey guns in my arsenal that I have collected over the last few years. 3 are Remington 12ga's they all have 23" barrels, 1 is a Browning BPS 10ga w/ 24" barrel, and last is a Browning Gold Auto w/ a 26. All are 3.5 inch shooters and all pattern about the same. It is just my preference, but I wouldn't go any longer than 26" barrel. With todays chokes and loads you can get a really sweet pattern out of a short barreled gun and they are so much more handy in the field. That is just my .02!

Shoot what you like and shoot it well and you will be knocking birds down without any trouble.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:11 AM

Barrel length will effect two things, how the gun balances and how it swings. Neither of these really matter when shooting turkey because you don't shoot them on the fly, normally any way.

It is true you might get a bit more velocity out of a longer barrel, but not enough to effect anything, and it is minimal anyway.

I like a short barrel myself because it is easier to get through brush with and will be lighter. Barrel length does not effect the pattern, that is dependant on your load and choke choice.

Shorter barrels tend be louder though, at least it seems that way to me.

Also barrel length on a shotgun can be a bit decieving. It depends on the type of gun you are talking. You have to take into acount the length of the action as well. If you have a 26 inch break open gun and a 20 inch auto or magnum pump they are actually about the same length because of the length of the action.

In the end pic the gun that fits you best and feels right in your hands.

I personally wouldn't waste the money on a special purpose turkey gun.

Paul
Old 02-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

I got my first turkey with a 870 in 16 ga. 2 3/4 mag. copper #4 . I miss that gun killed everything with it deer, squirrel, ect. it waslight, ballenced, smooth as silk, accurate, and a pleasure to carry in the woods. they dont make sweet guns like that anymore. I would recomend getting a reloder or finding someone to relode shells for you to your needs, thats just me. as for the lack of long barrels, there are aftermarker barrels that can be bought to do whatever you need. long, short, rifled whatever. I use a 12ga. now have several barrels to outfit myself for whatever.deer, turkey, waterfoul. but think back to the glory days of just reaching for a different shell and that deadly 16.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Not saying that this is for everyone, one could argue its a bit overkill for the 'average' dude but the following website has some very good information on patterns, barrels and shells and how each of them play into what happens downrange. If nothing more its great reading for someone that is interested.

http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

Check it out.

Happy Hunting!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you serious about turkey hunting I would try and get your self a turkey gun... For me it would be a Rem 870 of some kind. As said before I would try to stay no longer than 26" on barrel length... I like the 23" turkey models like the 870 SPS-T... The shorter barrels are going to make it easier moving around in the woods chasing turkeys...
Old 02-04-2007, 02:14 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I had long barrels and went to short barrels.....main reason for what others said....in the brush it is easier to swing and get in position.....easier to sneak with.

JW
Old 02-06-2007, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I was pretty confused for a while there. Now i know that it is basically a preference thing. I will see whats fits well and ofcourse if its on sale thats a bonus! Jim
Old 02-07-2007, 03:07 PM

ditto most of the above posts, but in my opinion, the choke is the utmost of importance. I have a Mossberg 835 with a 26 in barrel and a Rem 870 with a 23 in barrel, both equipped with Undertaker choke tubes. My buddy has a Super x2, also with an undertaker tube and we succesfully take birds every year. We have patterened our guns with different ammo and tubes and have found the undertaker to have devastating results with Winchester Supremes with # 4 or 5's. I am sold more on the undertaker than on barrel length.

Quick Reply: Gun preference question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.