Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scope or Red Dot...

Old 01-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope or Red Dot...

I've been using a fixed 2.5 power tasco scope on a quick detatch scope mount (bolts into where the trigger assembly pins go) a long time. It works just fine, but I change barrels on my 870 depending on seasons.I have it sighted in perfect right now for my slug barrel. This spring I'll need to waste a bunch of shot to re-sight again. Anyway, I'm thinking I may just want to get a different scope this year so I won't blow so many rounds each spring and fall. I don't want to break the bank either, something inexpensive and functional is what im looking for. What do you use and why, and any recommendations?? Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 08:32 PM

Default RE: Scope or Red Dot...

Open Sights???

Old 01-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nah, was thinking about fiber optic sights, but I lkie scopes...
Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to put a scope on my turkey gun (I used to have a red dot), then I would now make it a reticle (traditional) type scope.

If that battery goes out on you, or for whatever reason it doesn't work...then you have no way of sighting your gun. Unless you are lucky enough to have a screwdriver on you to take the thing off and use the front bead.

This happened to me.....and thank god I left the fiber optic sights on...red dot hadn't been on anything but a .22 since!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a scope and would recommend one as well. I understand how you don't like the resighting part...that is why I have two 12 ga. (one set up for my slug gun and another for my turkey gun). I put Leupolds on both of them. What I like about them is watching the bird through the scope while their working their way in. And you can't beat the accuracy.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:08 AM

I don't care for anything that requires batteries.[/align]I use a 2 1/2 power scope.[/align]
Old 02-01-2007, 12:42 PM

pro diamond ret. scope ,,dont need nothing that takes bat. been using a scope for 7 years now ,its the best site for turkeys hands down..
Old 02-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The main draw back to a red dot is batteries...if they die on you...you will kick yourself! I am currently using open sights, however, when I get enough money saved up, I am going to get a nice scope for the turkey gun!!