Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Get'n the most from your box call, the Yelp >

Get'n the most from your box call, the Yelp

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Get'n the most from your box call, the Yelp

Old 01-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Get'n the most from your box call

ORIGINAL: Yellowhammer

Must be a Tom cat.

LOL!!!!!!! Priceless!!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

Hey Rio you forgot to mention if you have different wood on opposite sides of the box you'll get a different sound depending on which side you're playing!
I don't care what the call is made of, if you hold it and run it in different ways, you're apt to get more out of it.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, Rio. I've picked up a couple of pretty good pointers from you already. I began making boxcalls a few years ago, myself, and have picked up a trick or two from watching other people run them. You have demonstrated a method of holding the tang between your 2nd and 3rd fingers. Well, I have about 20 boxcalls in front of me and have found that that method works great on some and not so well on others. These calls are made from different woods, but from the same demensions. Some are walnut over poplar, some spanish cedar, and some red cedar. The differences can be heard even among the calls of common wood.

One thing that I have found is that your grip on the tang can have a lot to do with the sound or tone. I have found that if you grip the tang lightly between the first knuckle of your index finger (the one by your fingernail) and your thumb with your thumb on top of the tang, you will get a slightlly different sound. Also, WHERE you grip the tang will also affect the sound. There will usually be a point of resonance somewhere in the neck of that tang. If I can find that sweet spot, I can get a much richer tone out of it. Gripping the tang in the same manner, but from the sides will also produce a different sound.

Lastly (and I think you covered this somewhat, but please allow me to expound) WHERE you hold the call in your other hand will affect the sound. holding it at one end or the other, or even in the middle will affect the tone. You can even apply pressure to key spots on the sides while you strike the lid to mute the sound for up-close work.

Like you said, treat these things like a musical instrument and learn how to play them. I hope you don't mind me throwing in my 2-cents. Keep these posts comming -- I'm learning stuff!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:58 PM

Not a problem barefoot,
I like you interpretation of what I'm say'n. I don't care to over emphasize certain things and allow the reader to think for him/her self. I posted this at another forum and received feed back via PM that I hadn't explained a few things about the hold or lifting the paddle between strokes... I don't lift and hold is usually a matter of comfort. The lift between strokes, well I have met a number of noted call makers, pro staffers and such, and one will lift another will not... I like to chomp off the yelps somewhat quickly and if any noise is produced on the return I figure it to be reach'n for a breath to let another Yelp. Anyway,his interpretation and my leaving a few things to personal preferencewasn't go'n to well.[/align]If you'd care to discuss why some of your calls run better by one hold or another email me direct at [email protected] and give me some specifics about the wood types, I love and hate dig'n at these things. By all rights when everything is perfect and the call is right, a loose hold will allow the radius of the paddleand the arc of the sound board to work together on there own. [/align]I hope you can except my comments as well, it is with an open mind that success is found.[/align]
[/align]
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 PM

This post (and seeing birds on property nearby where i hunt) inspired me to go out and buy a box call. I got a cheapo Quaker Boy "The Box." I'm already yelping well, with the tips I got here. Thanks. Keep 'em coming!
-- Branson