Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Get'n the most from your box call, The CLUCK >

Get'n the most from your box call, The CLUCK

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Get'n the most from your box call, The CLUCK

Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Get'n the most from your box call, The CLUCK

Pluck a Cluck method[/align]Hold the paddle in an open position approximately placing the rightrear cornerof the paddle even with the left sound board. Using just one finger or thumb, apply slight down pressure and pluck the paddle toward the closed position while giving lift to the paddle, and then catching the handle.[/align][/align][/align]" />[/align]
For lack of a better description, as if fling'n a booger.[/align][/align]
[/align]" />[/align][/align]
This thumb spring method is similar to that used to produce a Cutt except we tap the paddle in more of a straight across direction.[/align]
Place the thumb of the box hand over the edge of the paddle and the lip of the sound board, about top center of the sound board. With the paddle hand slapor tap the opposite edge of the paddle at a slight angle, (nearly straight accost). Again, the thumb of the box hand will work as a return spring.[/align][/align][/align]
[/align][/align]" />[/align][/align]
For the most subtle Cluck;[/align]In this method, hold the paddle off to one side using the thumb of the paddle hand, apply a very slight pinch to the rear of the paddle and the rear of the sound board on the same side. Using the fingers of the paddle hand, tap the opposite side of the paddle.[/align][/align]

[/align]" />[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]
Old 02-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Get'n the most from your box call, The CLUCK

Once again...very informative...thanks for the tips! Also, what kinda box call are you using there?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM

These are hand hewn, Shallow Rio 20 checker short boxes of my own making.[/align]
Old 02-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice...what do you charge?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Once again, thank you for the tips.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

heres a question that may sound dumb...im a big fan of clucking..it can be deadly at times. but i always fear i may sound more like an alarm putt than a cluck..especially when clucking on the box call. i know alarm putts are usually a couple putts in kinda quick fashion..is that the only diffrence? or is there an audible diffrence as well?? when clucking how do you cluck(like series wise)? i like to cluck and scratch in the leaves when not much is going on..just trying to sound like a hen feeding. is that a good or bad tactic?? thanx for the tips...love these posts..you gunna hit friction calls like slate and glass too??
Old 02-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

thanks very informative. how do you purr. man it would be great to put this stuff on a short video clip.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM

r33h, You'll have to email me for further info about my box calls. [/align]They don't want folks do'n busines on the open forum, it's understandable.[/align][/align]mauser06, I don't believe it's possible to "Putt" on a box call. I know you've maybe heard some bs say'n the difference between a Putt and a Cluck is whether they're come'n or go'n. That's bologna, a Putt is very distinct and sounds just as it does as you say it, P U TT. A mouth call is more apt to sound like a Putt when try'n to Cutt. [/align]I think you're right on track with your methods. Try a few hard loud Cutts shortly after you set up and have allowed things to settle, then follow up as you stated above.[/align]I'm quite proficient with any type call but only build boxes so I'll leave a pot call demonstration for Willie to post if he'd like.[/align]
Old 02-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Steve,
You have covered the cluck awesome!!
If someone would like some tips on the using post calls, check out the FAQ on my website www.magicmorning.net , if you would like more indepth help, PM me, and I would be more than happy to help anyone over the phone!
Again, nice going Steve!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx shallowrio..maybe i just cluck too loudly on my box call. thats kinda why the box is seldom used by me to cluck. i'll try some of these methods and see if they dont sound better. thanx alot...

Quick Reply: Get'n the most from your box call, The CLUCK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.