Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey gun help.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey gun help.

I ended up just buying stuff for my 1300. She's never let me down. I ordered a camo pistol grip stock and a Winchoke High Density, X-Full, X-Longchoke for her. I also bought that new camo tape that sticks to its self instead of the gun. I'll take pic's when I'm done.
I also picked up a bunch of turkey targets so I can pattern it. Any suggestions on a couple of different shells I should start with for this gun/choke setup??
Old 01-24-2007, 12:09 PM

Don't have experience with either specific gun, but fit means a lot. I have a 20 gauge 870 and a 12 gauge 835. I like both, but the 20 wins out every time.It fits better, and I'dsay fit matters more than anything.
-- B
Old 01-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have had awinchester 1300, rem 870,browning bps, mossburg 500. out of them all the most reliable out of the box shotgun is the mossburg 500. yes the others were prettier and more expensive but they werent flawless, or trouble free. the mossy you can drop in the mud and still get your meat on the table. you need an extra barrel it wont cost the price of another gun. ( yes i bought extra barrels for the others and i could have bought another gun for what they cost ) your cant go wrong with a mossburg because if your not happy with it you will still have saved enugh to put toward turkeycalls, camo, hunting lisence or whatever.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:50 AM

I use an old battered Mossberg 500 for just about everything. The gun has NEVER let me down. The forestock rattles, the wood was cheap looking even before I sanded out the stock to fit my cheek and painted it up camo...I would never try that with a nice pretty shotgun! I've killed ducks, geese, turkeys, grouse, squirrel, rabbit, deer, coon, feral cats and pigeons with that gun. If your budget is tight you will be happy with the performance. An 870 is a fine shotgun and should never let you down either just stings the wallet a little harder. But then if you are only going to buy 1 shotgun every 10 years whats an extra couple bucks?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default 870 is anything but JUNK

Whitetailcrazy, I have to respond to your comment that the Remington 870 is "junk".

My father and I ran a duck/goose hunting guiding business at Reelfoot Lake in NW Tennessee that dates to the 1960s (we rarely guide anymore).Over the couse of 40+ yearshe and I haveguided clients using virtuallyevery popular shotgun made and have been able to assess how they perform in a variety of field conditions. Any gun will shoot reliably in nice weather - butone finds out whichguns really work when huntingin a hard freezing rain or when temperatures fall to single digits. Without question, the gun that most consistantly performs shot after shot, day after day, in any weather, is the Remington 870. Talk to any guideor "everyday" hunter in our area and ask them what shotgun is the most reliable and I promise you that 9 out of 10 will say "that's easy, Remington 870".

In the pre-steel shot days weused Belgium Brownings because they werepleasant to shoot andcould hold up to the rough use and volume of shooting we did in thoseyears. Unfortunately the barrels are too soft for steel shot and the guns needed to be kept impeccably clean to function reliably. I bought an 870 Express the first year they came out in the early to mid 80s. That gunhas been my primary shotgun for everything, mostly waterfowl and turkey, for the past 20 years. Indecentduck seasonsI probably shot 20-30 boxes of shells per year through it. In that entire time it has failed to fire only once, and that was because so much ice built up behind the trigger one morning that the trigger itself becameblocked with iceandcouldn't move. After knocking the ice out with a stick it went right back to shooting every time I pulled the trigger.

As a turkey gun it has been perfect - 27 for 27. Some of the longer shots required a follow-up, but that was my fault for taking a long shot in the first place - not the gun.

All this from a gun that my some told me wasn't as good as the Wingmaster because ithas stamped rather than machined parts. Yeah, right.

Another point - unless it got wet or really dirty I only clean this gun thoroughly twice a year (after duck and turkey season). That's it. It is such a simple design that anyone can easlily learn how to disassemble and and put it back together. I can tear it down, clean all the parts and put it back together in less than 5 minutes. My 10-year old son can take down his 870 youthgun by himself and put it back together in only slightly more time. The elegant simplicity of its design is the key to this kind of reliability.

Your experience may be different and I don't doubt your word. My experiencereveals to methat people who have problems with an 870 (or other pump guns for that matter) are "short-stroking" it - in other words they don't pull the forearm all the way back after the shot and fail to eject the spent sheel and properly cycle the action. This is even more of a problem with the 870 super magnum because the longer 3.5 inch shell (about 4 inches after being fired) requires a longer stroke to eject the hull and cycle the next shot. Basically this is true for any 3.5" gun, 10 or 12 gauge. I have a Browning BPS 10 ga.and I short-stroke itoccasionally when hunting in cold weather and wearing a lot of clothes - I've never done it with my standard 3" 870 express.

In fairness I should tell you that I own a Mossberg 835 that was given to me by someformer clients (now good friends)from Wisconsin. They bought it in a pawn shop for $125 on their way down to duck hunt with us last year and ithas become my primary turkey gun.With a ported barrel, ported Star Dot choke and a limbsaver pad it is a kittycat to shoot - less kick thanmy 3-inch 870 even with 3.5" loads. I used it last season with excellent results on two gobblers using Hevi-13 loads. I think it a great turkey gun, but I would never use it as an "everyday" shotgun because I don't think it will hold up. The parts fit loosely and it shakes and rattles, but for a one-shot deal like turkey hunting I thinkthe 835 ishard to beat.

Just my humble opinion
Old 01-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Whitetailcrazy,

Are you talking about a Remington 870 (pump gun) or an 11-87 (gas-operated semiauto)???

I re-read you post and something doesn't make much sense to me. You state the following:

Well I am not looking for trouble, but stay away from 870's they are junk!!!!!!!!!!! I've hada few and sold them.... I shoot a lot.... I haven't seen one that shoots low brass shells. I do a lot of sporting clay shooting, and i might say it's one of the worst gun's made, if you want a gun that jams, then buy an 870. But if your buying strickly a turkey gun, and shooting high powder charges you might be alright.

Please explain how low brass shellscause an 870 to jam but not "high powder charges". That doesn't make much sense to me. I've shot everything from light dove loads to00 buckshot out of mine and it didn't make any difference on my ability to work the action.

but

If you are talking about a gas-operated 11-87, then your statement makes sense. The spent gas from the shot is captured and used to cycle the action. Lower charges mean less gas anda greater potential for misfires.

So, which is it, 870 or 11-87 ????

Thanks

Mouthcaller
Old 01-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got my gun finished today. The place I ordered from was out of the camo staocks so I ran down to Cabelas and bought th black ATI pistol grip and fore grip. I also picked up a set of Tru Glo sights. I then covered just about everything with Mossy Oak tape. I think it turned out pretty good. The only tthing is should I buy a shorter barrel? Mine is 28 inches and most turkey guns I've looked at had a 24 inch barrel. Whats the difference besides mobility?
Here's before.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

After

Old 01-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Closeup.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last one.

Quick Reply: Turkey gun help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.