Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Federal flight control

Old 01-14-2007, 02:19 PM

Default RE: Federal flight control

Thw word on them is that they don't like tight chokes or choke with wad stripping ports. Just to let you know that how a particular load will perform in your gun you'll have to shoot it to find out. Like I said in an earlier post I'm getting very good performance with them in a very tight wad stripping choke, (comp n choke)"In my gun". Your results may vary.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just shot a shell (fed flight control) at a small water bottle at 45 yds and put 9 pellets into it. Mossberg 500 w/undertaker choke,I'll do some comparisons with paper in a few weeks.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember one thing... You not going to get as many pellets as you would on a regular lead load
Old 01-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to check the shot wieght on the box.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heavy shot is a lot heavier than lead...

Exsample

10 #5 heavy shot might weigh as much as 15 #5 lead
Old 01-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Longbeard.you are indeed wise! I did check the box and apparently the wad takes up some room. They contain 1 3/4 oz of shot as opposed to 1 7/8 oz for most and 2oz for winchester supreme. I was however impressed with the performance on a water bottle. I plan on shooting at some large paper to get a feel for the pattern and a shot count on target. I'll wait until it warms up some.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Has anybody tried a choke that is halfway between standard full and super full with the flight control. Like maybe a 675 hevi shot choke. I'm talking about lead shot and I shoot em out of a standard benelli full but I think it could be a little better. From what I've seen mossbergs really like these loads with the factory turkey choke.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Shell are loaded by volume not by actual wieght of pelletson any givenload.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: half rack

Shell are loaded by volume not by actual wieght of pellets on any given load.
Are you sure about that?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:06 PM

Thats what I've been told by all the old reloaders and they know more about it than I do.Thats how they keep the pellet count up in the heavierthan lead stuff.Most of the heavy stuff cut back on the shot from the lead standards to keek it flying at 1250-1300 fps.Pretty sure on this stuff because I asked alot of questions and did ckecking last year when I got interested in the federal Hevy-Weight loads.I also found out just because the were 35% dencer didn't make them all that much heavier.If I'm wrong just let me know.

Quick Reply: Federal flight control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.