Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Federal Flight Control >

Federal Flight Control

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Federal Flight Control

Old 04-15-2007, 08:26 PM
bigcountry

Default Federal Flight Control

Well, I patterned my turkey guns for the season this week.

Finally tried out the flight control shells. Not bad. I got 140 pellets in 6" circle at 30 yards. compared to 80 from winchester and remington..

These were 2oz 3" lead loads.

Still not happy. I want to get at least 15 hits in turkey head and neck at 40 yards. I have tried alot of different ammo. But think I need a decent turkey choke. Still using the Remington Turkey choke.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 AM

Default RE: Federal Flight Control

what size shot
Old 04-16-2007, 07:19 AM
bigcountry

No 5, and No 6. Have you tried them? Anything to add?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 AM
bigcountry

This freaking patterning crap is for the birds. No pun. Second year in a row, I have tried patterning two different shotguns.

I have littlerly 6 box's of various ammo from remington winchester, and federal. Different wieghts, different shot size. I have two different guns I use for turkey, Browning Gold 3.5" and a 870 express 3".

After two days of this, I know that winchester's premier don't pattern that well. But everything is so inconsistent. I bought this high dollar flight control crap buyign into the hype, and it doesn't do any better then remington premier copper coated or nitro high velocity. I am back where I started last year shooting remington 3.5" 2oz #5 with a hard limit of 40 yards (and thats if everything is perfect), with a comfortable limit of 30yards.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

BC,

I also went through this very frustrating journey and what I've found is that the choke matters most. Unforutnely they are expensive to try because once you fire a load through them they can't be returned. Not to mention they are between $40 and $60 each. An old buddy of mine patterned his remington with a very high end choke, approx $60, with the Remington heavy shot to put a ton of pellets in the head and neck at 60 yards.

I've seen him shoot a bird at 63 yards and it was literally a boom flop! Literally.

Try some different chokes if you need better performance. I settled. Haven't lost a bird yet. 5 so far.

Tom
Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a SBE and have done the same as you BC and am frustrated too. I have purchased 3 different chokes and several boxes of shells and can't seem to get the reults I am looking for. Nothing even close to a 60 yard pattern and like you have settled on 40 yards as max for the loads I have tested. My best is with Winchester #5. The Rem heavy shot didn't do as well even with a special choke designed for it. Federals patterned the worst but did getslightly better thanthe Winchester with the new flight control shells. I did have my gun lazer ported several years ago and wonder if that is hurting my patterns. It actually is supposed to help allowing the end gasses a way to excape eliminating the back pattern from blowing out the leading shot or something like that.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:22 PM
bigcountry

I might go out and buy a pattern master today and give it another try in the morning. I got 100 dollars of ammo I am blasting thru. Wind is howling at 35mph+.

Maybe I am being unrealistic. I get on average 20 shots in a 6" circle at 40 yards.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:18 PM

Buy an UnderTaker extra Full choke tube and some Winchester Supreme 3" #6's and be done. Why 40 Yards? Maybe you should be practicing your calling instead of testing multiple brands of ammo.[8D]
Old 04-16-2007, 02:23 PM

I shoot flite controls through my undertaker tube wiht very good results to 50yrds. havent paterned past that so i couldnt tell you
Old 04-16-2007, 02:40 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Buy an UnderTaker extra Full choke tube and some Winchester Supreme 3" #6's and be done. Why 40 Yards? Maybe you should be practicing your calling instead of testing multiple brands of ammo.[8D]
Understaker is what I got on my browning. POS if you ask me. I mean no offense if you have one. Just not working for me.

Quick Reply: Federal Flight Control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.