Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Slate call newby...questions >

Slate call newby...questions

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Slate call newby...questions

Old 12-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slate call newby...questions

Thanks, I'll definitely come to you if I have any more questions. I've just always done that with my strikers, but never thought of particles getting caught in the grains. Makes sense though. I hunthills and hollowsand use a Power Crystal to better carry the sound through the hills. Do you have a lot of experience with today's production friction calls?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Southern,

I have played a few production type calls. But I make my own custom calls www.magicmorning.net I have a ton of experience with these!

Let me know if I can help you with anything else!

Willie
Old 12-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I checked out your website, you do a nice job. I seriously might get back with you sometime before spring season comes inand see about having you make me up a custom glass with a graphic in it. I'd love to have an Alabama flag graphic set into a call. How long does it usually take you to finish one of those with the picture in it? And what about those mouth calls, good sound? Thanks
-Blake
Old 12-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Blake,

The picture or graphic calls sound the exact same as they do without the picture or graphic. I handpicked my mouth calls and honestly think they are pretty darn good.
I have a list of about 15 calls to make. I am home on Christmas break tomorrow and will be for a full month. I am going to get all my orders caught up and then some, if you happen to order a call, you would have it my mid January.
PM me if you have any more questions!
Thanks again for the interest guys, means a lot!

Willie
Old 12-17-2006, 09:48 AM

keep it roughed up, and u dont need but one call. if yur looking for variety in pitch, volume, or tone all this can be achieved through new strikers. i like glass better than slate but to each his own. I can do high pitched kee kees then pull out a rosewood striker for a lower raspy yelp just like an old hen. i like the three pack of strikers from H.S. for like 10 bucks. just get one good quality call with 2 or 3 strikers rather than 3 separate ok calls.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Willie, you are all over it! Well said. I also stress to those who buy our calls to keep the striker tip roughed upeither with sandpaper or scotch brite. Always blow the dust offslate calls after working the surface over with a scratch pad. You are asking for your striker tipto skip when the wood grain fills with the slate dust. Obviously I'd prefer my customers buy more than one of our calls, but I tell them the striker is the easiest way to change the tone of a call. I normally take a glass/glass or glass/slate and 3 or 4 of my strikers in the woods with me. Wood density, striker weight, length, it allfigures into how the striker sounds.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gota love that Bill Zering video