Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spur necklace

Old 11-17-2002, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spur necklace

I have a box of turkey spurs that I want to make into a necklace. The spurs are attached to complete leg sections that have been cut off just above and below the spur. How can I remove the old skin, and polish the spur and piece of bone it's attached to without destroying the spur? I hope I explained this well enough for you to understand my question. Thanks in advance for you response.

Old 11-18-2002, 05:21 AM

Default RE: Spur necklace

I use a small pocket knife and work very slooooow and easy.just scrap from the spur to the bone,you can ring around the spur with th knife,("don't cut hard or deep&quot then you can use fine steel wool to polish.clean out the holes in the bone to run your,leather or small chain through.I saw a some spurs the had put Gold leaf on the bone(not the spru,just the bone) it looke real good.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-20-2002, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I boil the spurs, the skin will probably come off, but will the spurs also come off the bone?

Old 11-20-2002, 03:08 PM

Brokenbucket,
I don't know if you have had any problems with this, but I didn't cut the skin off mine for the first few years of hunting turkeys. I began to notice them decaying over time. I actually lost a couple of sets of spurs because of decay. I have heard if you spray them with some sort of clear enamel(sp) paint that it helps to prevent this from happening.

Ryan Tucker

Old 11-21-2002, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have trouble with decay. Probably because I covered them in salt after I cut them.

Old 11-21-2002, 08:55 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2002, 11:50 AM

I'm not quit sure how you will need to do these spurs you have if they have already dried out, but for future reference I always just freeze all my turkey legs until I get time to thaw them, cut them like you have above and below the spur, then use a razor blade or knife to get the skin from the bone, and finally use q-tips to clean the marrow from the center of the bone. Usually I push several q-tips all the way through to get it clean. But do be careful around the spur cap because it will come off. I leave about 1/8 inch of skin at the base of the spur so it will dry and keep the spur cap on. After this you can leave the leg bone part natural or paint it, whatever you like. Hope this helps you at some point.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:38 AM
Spike

I usually take the skin off right after I clean the bird. I find that the bone yellows the longer the skin is left on. A rotary tool ( Dremel ect )would probably work to get the old skin off. I then coat them with 3 - 4 layers of clear nail polics.
Paul
Old 11-22-2002, 09:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Spur necklace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.