Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How far can it go?

Old 10-22-2006, 05:18 PM

Default How far can it go?

How far will u go on a big gobbler with a 12ga. in a field with no wind nuttin no twigs how far?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:11 PM

Default RE: How far can it go?

i went 35 on mine

(thats all i have had the oppertunity to shoot)

with a rem 870
Old 10-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

If your asking how far you can kill a gobbler with todays shotguns and loads it would probably be 60 yards or more. My gun, I wasn't the shooter killed one at 55 yards. I'm not comfortable shooting that far with it myself and I like to call them in tighter anyway. Personally I'll shoot 40-45 yards tops.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also depends on your shell size. Some people use a 3 inch shell when turkey hunting with a 12 ga. and those are good out to about 40 yards. I think most people, though, use a 3 1/2 inch shell and those are good out to about 60. I don't think I would be that comfortable shooting that far, but some people are.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

30 yds is my preferred yardage for my gun setup. 20 yds is getting kind of close as my gun setup patterns really tight for that yardage. I have killed one at 59 steps but that was due to me totally blowing I what I thought the yardageto bein a plowed field. At almost 60 yds I was surprised at how hard it still flopped that bird but I sitll don't recommend shooting that far as a rule. I have patterned my gun at 50 yds and it consistantly puts around 45-50 pellets in the head and neck area of a turkey sillouette target. At 30 yds it puts around 116 pellets in the same area and at 40 yds 85+ pellets.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: r33h

Also depends on your shell size. Some people use a 3 inch shell when turkey hunting with a 12 ga. and those are good out to about 40 yards. I think most people, though, use a 3 1/2 inch shell and those are good out to about 60. I don't think I would be that comfortable shooting that far, but some people are.
Please do not get mislead by the 3 1/2 in shell. This shell is not setup to improved your distance. The 3 1/2 was designed to allow a hunter to get dencity of a 10 gauge load in a eithical range as in 20,30,40 yards.

As stated above, keeping your shots in a proper range of how your gun shoots is a better thing to work with. Yes some of us tend to streach that range to some degree , but by only very limited yards over a tremendous distance that is more common spoken as chance shooting.

Always use the 20,30,40 yards and enjoy the hunting over shooting...
Old 10-29-2006, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I appreciate the kill more if I can call themin at 20-25yds. I have been doing it for over 50yrs with a Win mod12 20ga Modified that my father gave me on my 12th birth day in 1952. It only goes in the woodsfor Turkey season.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

Please do not get mislead by the 3 1/2 in shell. This shell is not setup to improved your distance. The 3 1/2 was designed to allow a hunter to get dencity of a 10 gauge load in a eithical range as in 20,30,40 yards.

As stated above, keeping your shots in a proper range of how your gun shoots is a better thing to work with. Yes some of us tend to streach that range to some degree , but by only very limited yards over a tremendous distance that is more common spoken as chance shooting.

AMEN!!!!!!!Great advice...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

with a 2 3/4 shells about 25 to 35 yards but with a 3 incher and 3 1/2 about 35 to 45 yards it also depends on the type of choke you have
Old 11-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bobgobble2

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

AMEN!!!!!!!Great advice...
The bigger the shell, the more bb's, so you "fill" the shooting space more...that was what I was trying to get at. Probably not a good choice of wording on the first post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.