Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Longest Kill Shot w/ Shotgun? >

Longest Kill Shot w/ Shotgun?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Longest Kill Shot w/ Shotgun?

Old 09-20-2006, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Longest Kill Shot w/ Shotgun?

Now, as I'm still a newbie to the world of turkey hunting (anxiously awaiting my first hunt), I'm curious to what the longest distance is that you've killed a turkey with a shotgun?

I've been patterning mine at distances of 20 to 60 yards. I've noticed a severe dropoff in shot going into the target around 50 yards (as I would have expected).

I don't want to be overly gunho and try to knock off a turkey at too far of a distance. So, all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

Old 09-20-2006, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Longest Kill Shot w/ Shotgun?

40 is my MAX, if i cant get em closer than that i dont deserve to get em......
Old 09-20-2006, 06:48 AM

I have killed them at 5 feet but my longest shot was probably 30 yards
Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed cripples to far to mention and wounded a few because I misjudjed the distance.40 yards or preferrably closer is the ethical choice.Glad to see your patterning your gun,the paper doesn't lie,take the info you have there and apply it in the woods and you wont overstretch your guns capabilties...Bob
Old 09-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some guns shoot better than others... I have a 870 with a 26" barrel and with a Remington Ventilator choke and Win XX 2oz #5's will put around 15 lethal brain and neck vertebra hits at 40 yards... I was working a gobbler one spring morning for about a hour and a half. He would come in just over a rise about 20-30 yards away and then drift off to about 75-100 yards gobbling the whole time but would not crest ridge... Anyhow after him coming in and fading away 20 different times I was really getting frustrated... The next thing you know I hear him gobble closer than he ever was so I got ready... I seen his head pop up just over the rise... I let him have it... I paced it off and it was about 46 yards... I bought a new turkey gun this last spring(870 SP 3.5" mag) and with Win HV #4's it will put 15-20 hits in the vitals at 42 yards... I killed one at 56 paces this past may

I would not recomend shotting at those distances unless you really know your gun
Old 09-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to get'em to 40 or less. My farthest was at 45-46, if I remember. Imisjudged, but still dropped him.

I've heard of guys rolling gobblers at 60-65with"heavy shot", but I wouldn't try it.I don't know what my gunpatterns like at that range.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

allof mine have been under 20 yds. but one, he was 31...that was my max.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use your pattern to let you know what your effective kill range is. Just remember that from the bench there are no weeds,saplings, leaves etc. to block some shot.
Kill shots in the fields may be a little longer than kill shots in the woods because of this reason.
With that being said I have killed one at 42 steps in a field. Nothing over thirty in the woods.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

My longest shot came this year, it was 42 steps. Mine was in a field as tkycallers was. I try to get them as close as possible. The closest was 6 steps.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: moose1915

40 is my MAX, if i cant get em closer than that i dont deserve to get em......
10-4, good buddy!

Quick Reply: Longest Kill Shot w/ Shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.