Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys in South Dakota

Old 08-19-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Turkeys in South Dakota

Does anybody have any hunting experience in S.D. ? Looking for a public land hunt, heard about the Custer Nat. forest. Is this a place to start or does anyone have suggestions on where to go? thanks just trying to get an early start for next spring.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkeys in South Dakota

There is so much area in public land to hunt that it is hard to run into someone esle hunting. The idea is to find the birds and work them in. Early season start low and work up to higher ground as the season progresses...BT
Old 08-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to SD for the first time this spring. its definitely worthit. Custer National forest is for SD residents only. Try the black hills national forest.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:46 PM

where did you stay when hunting this area? Is there a particular area or feature of terrain to look for on these turkeys. I'm from Illinois so our eastern bird experience is probably close. I was just trying to get a feel for those open country birds. any help or tips would be appreciated. I'm not asking for your honey holes just lessons learned on what to do and not to do. thanks.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

gator, The first thing you have to deal with is what part of the season you want to hit. The first part can be snow storms that will stop all hunters from getting off the main roads. I have seen a storm come in and there be trees down all over. Getting into the 3rd week the weather changes and its is less likely to come into these storms.

There is all sorts of places to stay in the area. I stayed one year at Pine Rest cabins. They were very nice people and you target being in the midle range of the hills allowing you to cut down on traveling one way or the other.

There is a lot of open area there and also some think deep old canyons. These birds tend to be flocked up in the early part and at most times you can have a number of gobblers standing in front of you. They do have a very bad habit of moving once they flydown. Merriams travel and fast. being in shape is a good plan because you may have to climb up a hill 1500 feet to get around them. Load calls such as tubes, paddle box calls are good to get volume out and get the intrest of these traveling toms.

If I was to head back I would spend or start my energy near Hotsprings and work my way up the hills. You want to travel light as possible when hunting as sometimes you can put miles on walking the land. If you can drive some of the back roads that the Blacks have to offer , you can scout from the truck. Its a good idea to get a map of the hills because there is spotted private land throughout the hills as well. You should not have any problem finding birds, and I can tell you that SD has some of the best people in the States as when asked they will go out of their way to help you.

I really liked the hunt there and would not blink an eye to go back...BT
Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 PM

There are still a few bird around Hot Springs. But there are literally birds scattered all over those hills. I defintely echo what Adrian stated. Be in shape. Run and gun. Call aggressively. The more open low land is easier to use the terrain to your advantage. In the hills it's steep, steep, steep and it doesn't slow the birds down one bit.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 PM

Thanks Borch and Adrian, This is the kind of info I am looking for. Borch do you mean look other places than Hotsprings due to hunting pressure? How is the Lodging situation up there can you find aroom when you need it or should you get reservations in advance. Are there roads to get you into the areas or do you park and walk for several hours. In Ill You can drive and listen move a half mile and listen again all without leaving the road. Small blocks of land,farm roads everywhere. Walking is all about when plan A didn't work. Or walking 1/2 to 3/4 mile in the morning to the sweet spot so you don't spook the birds. What is it like in SD