Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question about Decoys

Old 09-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question about Decoys

I will be Turkey Hunting for the first time this Fall, and was wondering ifwhat decoys would be better to use. A Jake decoy. or a hen decoy? Or both? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about Decoys

Depends on what your after if you want a tom then just use the hen decoy but if your state allows you to take ether oneand you would settle with a hen then use the jake.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 PM

Hey!
I have 3 turkey decoys,I either use in the Spring or early Fall.I got 1 tom & 2 hens,personally I think their the best turkey hunting invention ever!
Old 09-11-2006, 12:28 PM

Fall turkey hunting is wrong in so many asspects i don't belive in it and think they should stop it all together if you can't kill a bird in the spring thenyou should stay home fall is for deer hog elk and etc. not turkeys
Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey boss, didnt your Mama ever teach you that if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:32 PM

I second that!
Old 09-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmph [:'(]With a name like Bosgobbler and he slams turkey hunting like that. Shame.

Anyway, I had a question about this

Depends on what your after if you want a tom then just use the hen decoy but if your state allows you to take ether oneand you would settle with a hen then use the jake.
I thought Toms travelled outside of family flocks. Sometimes in the area but not necessarily with hens at all. Why a hen decoy if you want a tom?

I have always thought use as many as possible to create the look of family flock. Birds being called back in after a scatter will see hens and jakes and think it's the flock re-grouping.

No fall hunt here so I am only questioning based on zero experience. I have the question about using decoys at all if you're after mature toms? Seems that that is a different hunt altogether than hunting a hen or jake or jennie in the fall.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Ontelk,
I actually have two hen decoys, but took oneand some spray paint and made it look like a young bird, Jake. Seems to work pretty well. However, I have killed more Toms' without a decoy than with them.
dog1
Old 09-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

This issue can be debated by everyone out here. It boils down to sometimes they work sometimes they dont.
Make sure they are legal where you hunt first.
Then it all depends on the circumstances. If you can break up a flock there is no reason I can think of to use them as they are going to try to get back together and all you need to do is call and remain motionless. Use the Kee Kee Run to lure them back to the breakup spot.
If you use them in another situation, I do not think it will matter if you use a jake or a hen as they are more than likely going to be together. Usually mature Gobblers run together in the fall and the hens and jakes will be together seperate from them.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally dont use them/decoys during the fall season simply because I dont see the need!Even in the spring My strategy using a deke iscentered around making a gobbler jealous using a combination of jake/hens.So consequently during the fall there ofno use to me.During the fall strategy has alot to do with why I dont use thembecause I either break the birds up and call them backor Ikey in on a food/water source and pattern them up setting up on a travel route!I find fall hunting just about as much fun as spring anymore as the woods have far less hunters!Fall seasons are also a great management tool in being able to harvest hens.We use this to our advantage on our home ranch to bring our gobbler to hen ratio closer together.Had a fantastic hatch this year and certainly look with great anticipation towards our fall season this year in Nov!!!

Quick Reply: Question about Decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.