Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Late Season Poults

Old 08-15-2006, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Late Season Poults

I had a hen show up in my fields just4 days ago with young poults. I have never seen poultsthis small, so late in the year. I'm guestimating that they are ~3(?) weeks old (about quail-sized, I am no expert on this).No doubt she has been through a few re-nesting cycles.I've tried to get pics, butthe hen is ever vigilant (Ilack mlo's skill/patience) and she hasavoided mymotion camera. Anyoneelse see any "late"hens?Are the poults likely tosurvive?
-fsh
Old 08-15-2006, 07:54 PM

Default RE: Late Season Poults

Seems like every year I see a hen or two with a late batch of chicks. Last week I saw a hen with five smallpoults and today she only had three. It'sunbelievable how much they will grow by the end of october, although I think that they are mostly all feathers. I am sure they are the first to go with a bad winter.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

I myself seen a hen with poults the other day. They were small as well. Not quail size but just a little bit bigger. Hopefully mother nature will be kind this winter so we can have a good population of young ones for next spring...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

FSH,thats a good question on how many times a hen we'll try and nest up after being unsuccessful through the course of the same nesting season.Probably depends on how strongthe instinctive nature is to brood!I have seen some real youngins in the past but as far as this year goes everything I've see to date is about Banty chicken size or better!!