Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Another down longbeard from NEW YORK >

Another down longbeard from NEW YORK

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Another down longbeard from NEW YORK

Old 05-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Another down longbeard from NEW YORK

Well, I just got home from another arduousjourney for the wild turkey. I got to Limeston, NY around 4:00am friday and quickly unloaded before I headed into the woods. Around 4:30 the rain came a pouring and I mean it came a POURING. I decided to relax a bit and would possibly go back out later on. Around 5:30 the rain let up and I decided to hit the ridge. I probably walked a horse trail 2 miles at the most before I made a call. It was around 6:10 when I made my first call and once I yelped and cutt I heard the thuderous gobble from below. I set up and by the time I pulled my mask up three gobblers were right on top of me. Since I was in the process of putting on my mask they saw me, but my ole Browning gold loaded with a 3.5 inch did the trick. Shot a real nice gobbler on the FIRST day of my hunt. Saturday was a real crappy day for hunting. The fog set in and that's pretty much all she wrote. Sunday, I got on two other birds, but they got hung up because of some down timber between me and them. I was hunting on Rock city state forest. Nice public groud to hunt on if you're in the area. I can tell exactly where they are! After they got hung up they never said another thing. Season is late and hunting is pretty much over on public land. You might get lucky but those birds have been hit pretty hard. Today, I got on a bird in the same area on Rock city state forest, but he was gobbling on private land and didn't say much after 7:30am. If you're going to kill a bird in this area then you'll need to roost the birds and then be within 75 yards first thing at break of light. I really had a blast and was fortunate enough to kill a bird in an area where hunting has been pretty tough. I'm assuming most of the hunters in the area are hunting close to the roads and not getting out and walking deep into the forest. Seems like the turkeys are down low near fields or on the lowest bench from a ridge. If you're in the area and still hunting this is my best advice to you...hunt low (near fields), or just on the lowest bench. This is where they are holding in the area of Limestone, NY. I'll post pics in a bit. Take care and hope everyone had a safe and blessed memorial day weekend.

David Ellis
Old 05-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Another down longbeard from NEW YORK

Ahh good deal! congrats, 2 more days left then it's another year[:@]

Can't wait for pics and the score seemed like a real nice bird!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

WTG Dave!!! Can't wait to see the pic's!! I'll be headed out tomorrow morning, the very last day to hunt spring turkey here in NY. Wish me some luck as well!!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

man i wish i was having that kind of season, its not going so well in my neck of the woods!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great Job!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:10 PM

Sorry for the long delay, but here is two pics of the longbeard I killed. I didn't have anyone to take the pics of me from the beginning, but you can get an overall idea on the size of the bird. As you can see it was raining last friday morning when I killed this bird. Enjoy and have a great night!

David Ellis

Old 05-31-2006, 09:10 PM

couple other pics of the NY gobbler