Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New York Gobbling

Old 05-20-2006, 10:10 PM

Default New York Gobbling

wanted to see if anyone has heard any gobbling in new york? If so what city were you closetoo? I'm going to new york next weekend and wanted to see what kind of gobbling activity you might of experienced. Thank and have a good one.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New York Gobbling

I been out 8 or 9 times. I heard gobbling from 5:10 for a solid hour each time i was there in the am, and once when i was there late, 9-11, heard about 20 gobbles. Thats near Cazenovia. I live near Rome and everytime i been out around here, heard atleast one gobble...good luck, im goin in 3.5 hours.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:18 PM

i hunted cuyler, in cortland county. i heard about 5 gobbles in the morning but nothing after that. i dont live up there though so i cant tell you how they have been on a day to day basis. i donno how much this helps but i figured it cant hurt lol.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:36 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

I hunt every day. I have not heard a gobble since last sunday, that was near Oswego. This past weekend, no gobbles and each day before work this past week, hunting near Rochester, no gobbles. Pure boredom!
Old 05-21-2006, 07:45 AM

i was out just this morning and heard two longbeards gobbling....not so much to my calling but they were sounding off just the same...once the rain came down stead and hard all the birds stopped talking...i've been out every weekend of the New York season and have heard gobbling each time...
Old 05-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

heard prolly 5-10 gobbles this morning, called in a jake for my buddy to shoot, but he slept through his only opportunity. all together, saw 7-10 birds this am, even during the rain!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:25 AM

Putnam County has been dead quite..
Old 05-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt all over wyoming county and the gobbling is pretty steady if your in the right spot, good luck!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:50 PM

I really appreciate the field status on bird activity. I'm going to be near limestone, NY for memorial day weekend. Just spoke to the cabin owner and he told me that he's going to hook me up with his son and I'm going to go with him. I told him about my prostaff status and I'll film him if he can direct me onto some birds or even an area that holds a good flock of birds. I thought about the allegany state forest, but I'm looking at other places as well. As long as I get on one bird I'll be completely satisfied. Especially if the owners son gets a bird. I'd rather see someone else get a bird than myself. Keep me posted on gobbling activity if any of you get to go out as the week progresses. Looks like next weekend is going to be the best week so far with weather. Sunny with temperatures in the mid 70s. Take care and good luck!

David Ellis