Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Bird 4 for the year falls to River Valley Calls. >

Bird 4 for the year falls to River Valley Calls.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bird 4 for the year falls to River Valley Calls.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bird 4 for the year falls to River Valley Calls.

This morning I had agreed to take my stepfather/friend Tim and his son Tom out turkey hunting. Tom had never taken a spring bird and if some of you remember last season I called in Tim's first ever spring gobbler. We were up and in the woods long before light and sat listening. We heard a gobbler up the hill and headed off only to bust two hens from the trees. The gobbler kept sounding off and we got in as tight as we could. Once off the roost the gobbler was very cooperative and came but wouldn't commit. I was able to pull in the two jakes that were with him but they wouldn't put their heads up for a shot. Eventually the 3 headed up hill and became tight lipped.

We circled back toward my house and back down the trail to where we started in the predawn light. I no sooner just got done telling Tom that this was the time of morning we struck the bird that we harvested for the WNEP TV show when I called and had a gobbler pound back not a mere 200 yards. We headed as quickly and quietly as we could toward the bird when he gobbled again and close. I quickly sat Tim and Tom down and sat down behind them when he gobbled again and he wasn't alone. I heard at least one other mature tom and two jakes sound off with him. These birds both answered me and gobbled on their own but wouldn't give an inch. I had the jakes yelping and the gobblers pounding but they wouldn't commit.

I picked up and moved back away from the gunners and sat down about 50 yards back and resumed calling. The birds continued to answer and I believed the jakes to close the distance only to move off again. I moved up and down the hill changing my locations as the birds continued to call. It was comical to hear the jakes yelp and half gobble when the toms sounded off. I started these birds at 8:00 and by 9:00 we had at least 7 birds pounding back. Meanwhile throughout this hour I sat silent for long lengths of time while the birds gobbled on their own. I moved back and forth, up and down when a bird gobbled close to me so I knew he was committed to the gunners. Suddenly a gun blast and the woods went calm. I hit the calls hard hoping to get on of the many birds to call back but that didn't happen. I snuck up the shooters to find out that I was able to call in Tim's second spring bird in two seasons and my 4th bird called in for shooters this season. A great morning. This bird went 20 lbs, sported a 10" beard and had a 1 1/8", 1" spurs. Way to go Tim.

I yelped and cut on River Valley Game Call's Sweet Talker mouth call and MOJO glass call to convince this 4th bird of the season to fall to our guns.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bird 4 falls to River Valley Calls.

Congratulations! Nice photographs!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Bird Rob , Congrats sounded like an exciting hunt...BT
Old 05-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man those turkeys must be color blind

Congrats on the fine gobbler...
Old 05-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been keeping track of your season Rob, boy its been a good one for you and your buddies. Congrats.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first year, no birds but I haven't seen any Jakes. My buddy says the Toms beat them up so badly and even kill them so the Jakes are very shy. I didn't think they hung around together in the spring, or is the breeding season over and then they tolerate each other?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a great season Rob
Old 05-22-2006, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats awesome.........
Old 05-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

Great Bird Rob , Congrats sounded like an exciting hunt...BT
Ditto Rob,WTG!!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

tsoc, thanks. Photo's are very important to me, they tell the story and have lasting memories. It only takes a moment and lasts a lifetime.

ADJ, can't keep up with your harvests but 4 wily PA longbeards ain't slouching either.

Mr. Longbeard, thank you sir, but color blind? I'm assuming your talking about the camo, ASAT and Predator, you can't get better and green, it's overrated....there's less green in the woods compared to the black, brown and tans that are there....ASAT keeps proving it to me time and time again.

rybohunter, thank you as well, it has been a great season and with a week to go, I'm hoping to bag one more on camera for our Vol III of the Head Hunters series.

Dr. Andy, hang in there, it'll happen.

jalvja, thanks my friend.

huntma, awesome is a great word to describe my season thus far, thanks.

maytom, thanks ole chap...